Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've not played any. Do they work well on their own? Do any of them go deep and have a lot of presence or is it all cut? I'm planning on a cab roundup here in Maine and wondering if I should bother with a 2x10.

I had an Ashdown 110 combo once that sounded nice and warm, but small. I'm concerned a 2x10 will be that same sound only louder. Especially compared to the GS112 I currently use.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I gig with a Peavey T-max 2-10 rack mount cab (discontinued). It's got plenty of low end. I've played outdoor parties, large bars, and ballrooms. This is a relatively large 2-10 with an adjustable tweeter. I'm thinking about adding a 1-15 to my rig for my new band because I will probably have to go 5 string and I want to give my 2-10 a break before it breaks.

I have a 300 watt Ashdown 1-10 combo and there is no comparison between it and my 2-10.

4. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    You'll find a lot of info in other threads, but from my experience and research 10" speakers will give you more cut/mids than anything. If the cab they come in is ported, you'll have some presence or better low end, but not as good as a larger speaker. Check out the tuning of the cab before you buy - if the manufacturer states the cab is tuned to 41-45hz (low E on the bass), then that's as low as it will get for 2x10s. Even at the the low E, however, you'll notice the decibels will fall off quickly (although still audible at that point) than in the 50Hz+ (A string +) range. You'd be better off pairing your 112 with a 2x10 cab for some real range. The 112 should catch those lower HZs that a 2x10 will have trouble coughing up.

I've owned Avatars and Hartke 2x10s. I'd recommend Avatar - nice all-round cab for the price.

5. I've done some small venue touring with a Eden 2x10 XLT due to space considerations in the van - I was very skeptical before playing it. I was surprised at the ability to get a nice round tone out of it with decent low end presence, and a pretty respectable amount of volume. I think it was ported, and had an adjustable horn. Might be worth checking out.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've used my Eden D210XLT (4ohm) by itself with my GK700RBII head for bar gigs and a private party and it did an awesome job.

:D

Joe.

7. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Hey I saw you own a Firebass, too. I love mine. I'm building a 2x10 4ohm cab to go along with my 2x12 4ohm cab.

8. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    if you can find a genz benz xb210 i would highly reccommend trying one

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you get a better quality one that will handle enough power, it'll do anything a 410 will do.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    For anyone not wanting to wade through my 2x10 thread and FWIW, I'd say that my top three faves were the EA NL-210, Bergantino HT210, and Glockenklang Duo Wedge.

Tom.

11. I cut and pasted Tom's 210 super thread into Word and with a few edits I came up with a detailed 3.5 page document. I refer to it about once a week. It is well worth digesting. Thanks, Tom

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow! Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you found the information useful. :)

Tom.

13. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i did the same with his (shorter) 110/1-8 writeup. good stuff.

i live vicariously through tom.

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    It's all we can do.

And heckle him.

Love ya Tom!

:D

Joe.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I use an old white label Eden D210T (discontinued) cabinet and it is sufficient for all the gigging I do (not much - bars and stuff occasionally). I think it sounds great and thanks to GTGs I've heard a few different amplifiers through it. It strains a little bit on the low notes on my 5 and 6 strings, but not enough for me to think about augmenting or replacing it.

16. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I often use a single Eden 210XLT for small/medium venues and it does very well. It serves mostly as my stage monitor, since I am going through either the house PA, or my PA which has a very respectable set of subs- two Yorkville LS800P's (powered subs), each of which has an 18" speaker and 1500 watts. The 210XLT has great low mids which I can hear clearly, and it has respectable lows for many bars. The Eden pairs up very nicely with any of my SVTs.

17. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    so lots of props for the Eden XLT. Anyone play the Aggie GS210? Is it a similar scooped/flat mid tone, or do the 10's add some mid-cut? How about Epi 2x10's (T or UL)?

18. [​IMG]

Ive ran these two Eden XLT's since 91 great rig!

19. I've got a brand new used twice Accugroove Tri210L for sale on this site if you're interesed. Great cab... I'm not a ten's guy.

20. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Not sure if I am either, so I was thinking of starting out in a lower tier. But thanks for the heads up.