1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x115 vs 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bloobass, Mar 20, 2013.

1. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I have a 1x15 (8ohm) rear ported cab. I have the opprotunity to pick up a second identical cab cheap. I also came across a front ported 4x10 (4ohm) fairly cheap. I'm torn...Until last year, I was always a 410 kind of guy, but I picked up this 115 and it blows me away, plus I get a lot of compliments on my tone. Looking for some opinions about getting the second 115, or selling my current one and getting the 410. See specs below:
    edited to add: I like the way my low B sounds with my 115 now, and this matters to me. I'm using a Markbass LMIII, and these are MB cabs.

410 (4 ohm):
    POWER HANDLING
    800W RMS (AES Standard)
    CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
    3.5 kHz
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    35 Hz to 20 kHz
    SENSITIVITY
    103 dB SPL

115 (8 ohm)
    POWER HANDLING
    400W RMS (AES Standard)
    CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
    3.5 kHz
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE
    40 Hz to 18 kHz
    SENSITIVITY
    100 dB SPL

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Get a matching 115. You will no doubt be inundated with people recommending the 410. There are reasons for both suggestions. Get the matching 115.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I was the same way until I got my Mesa Walkabout Scout (1-15) and matching extension. Now I'm both a 1-5 AND a 4-10 guy.

If it were me, I would get the matching 1-15. It gives you more options. You can take one or both. Don't worry about the stats. If you like the sound of the 1-15, and you have been compliments by others, then go with it. An identical cab will be just as good only more!

4. you like the 115, get another 115.

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Seems like the 410 you're looking at is 4 ohms. Unless your amp is good below 4 ohms you'll have more options with a matching 115 8 ohm cab.

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Another matching 115 is the better option.

7. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I say the 1x15.

A 2-1x15 set up is a great rig. You can do the biggest or smallest shows with that set up. And if you already dig the 15 you have...

8. You don't like the sound of the 4x10 and the 1x15? i think that sounds great, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure someone will point out that my opinion is wrong, and use lots of mathematical equations to prove me wrong, but that's my opinion.

I'm not real familiar with that amp, so i don't know what it sounds like. Two 15's is alot of speaker to move though. I had two 15s at one time and i thought it got farty too easily.

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That's a great 15 if it can handle 400 watts RMS. I would definitely pair it up with a second one. I believe my 4 Ohm B-115 Avatar is only good for 250 RMS/ 500 peak.

10. Well you know what they say about opinions...

Speaker diameter has nothing to do with how easily a cab will fart out, how low it can go, frequency response or any of that jazz. If you played 15's that farted out too easily, then you were playing crappy cabs.

11. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    You already answered your question. You like the low B better AND you like the sound of your current 115. Get the matched 115.
    What's old is always the new 'new'. !5's got to the point to where they weren't as cool as the new multiple driver 10's and 12's that are out now, but people are realizing that 15's are cool, too. I'm hoping you stack them vertically. Wish I could find a few lightweight 15 cab's. I might go back. I don't see the need for the high end that the 10's might put out over a few 15's. 2.5K is plenty of high end for me. I don't slap, though.

12. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I have two 115 cabs, and I really dig them. Bring one, bring both, but be happy!

Get the second 15 cab and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

As for 15's handling 400w, that's what my cabs are rated for.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The 2nd matching 1x15 is the obvious answer. Adding an identical cab equals MORE than the sum of the 2 cabs. It's called "coupling", and it's awesome.

14. I vote 410's just to be contrary. No really, matching is the way of The Pure at Heart.

15. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLAY 15S WITH FLATWOUNDS AND A TORT PICKGUARD OR YOU CAN JUST LEAVE! :bag:

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You know, a couple of years ago I would have been right with you. But here lately I think the whole TI flats "mania" and tort guard preference has subsided a bit. And at no point have a I a time when 15" opinions outweighed 2-10 stacked vertical, 8-10 fridges, or 4-10 preferences.

ticol07 likes this.
  17. Sparks55

Sparks55

Feb 22, 2009
    B'more North, MD
    +1

18. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks everybody. I think when I typed out my post I kind of answered my own question...As far as using the 15 + 4x10, it's not economical for me, plus my head will only go down to 4 ohms (15 is an 8ohm, 410 is a 4ohm...bad head juju for me).

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    2x115 is sweet. Easy to schlep one at a time, and awesome together. You'll never miss a 410.

20. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    My vote...

GB2X15_zps9dae0a60.