2x12 + 2x10: Aguilar or Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nightshifter, Aug 7, 2003.

1. As I'moving from Rock&Pop towards Jazz&Fusion w/ some occasional R&B/Soul gigs, playing fingerstyle all the way (some slaps not excluded), I'm contemplating about switching from 4x10 (2) to 2x12 + 2x10 (4 Ohms each), for a different appropriate sound as well as smaller dimensions to carry around.
    Aggie just happened to be first choice for me, although a friend of mine who sells them (Epis too) as a dealer & bass player stated that the GS210 stand-alone wouldn't be his choice for smaller gigs which I'd often come across, due to lacking the lows in comparison to the Epi T-210.
    Ok, you can always dial in more of it with your active EQ or/and preamp, but in his opinion the same combination resp. single Epi cab would be a lot more effective, punchier... any experience in that way ? Bergantino & Avatar is not really available in Europe, so out of reach.... :bawl:
    My amp gear: Aggie DB659 + QSC RMX850

BTW: should I go for dual channel (4 Ohms into each cab) or bridged Mono (4 Ohms into parallel wired cabs, 8 Ohms each) with the QSC? I heard bridged mono is top of the notch, but the cabs would differ in volume due to different power consumption (eg. 600W vs. 350W with the Aggies..)

Thx a lot for helpful comments & experiences! :bassist:
  2. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Both are great, but I prefer Epifani over Aggie.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I'm actually planning to get the Aggie 2x10 + 2x12, but I haven't had a chance to hear any Epifani stuff so I can't really help ya :(
  4. I've got the Aguilar 2x10 + 2x12 set-up and I like it a lot. Sure, sometimes I wish the 2x10 was a 4x10, or that the whole rig was a 4x12. But the way I have it is the easiest to move, and it sounds great. FWIW, I did an A/B with the Aguilar 2x12 vs. the Epifani 2x12 -- same amp, same bass -- and found the Epifani to be too overwhelming in the lows. The Aguilar had a less beefy but more useable sound, to my ears. YMMV, of course.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i might get flamed for this blaze reply, but...

the Aguilar's have a kind of a smoother Eden sound with that slight bump in the low mids. they've got a nice slightly upfront, everso slightly aggressive feel to them, with a nicer airy top, while the Eden's are just plain aggressive and a tad harsh in the top end, but not as much so as most EBS cabs i've heard.

all in all, the Aguilar's are just kinda like a softer, smoother, sweeter, not quite as edgey Eden sound. the Eden still rocks for rock and metal, but the Aguilar seems more versatile for that and everything else.

the Epifani's on the other hand, are more hifi, with lots & lots more of that open air sweetness. the detail and breadth of tone is unparallel. does have a slight bit of a sucked in feel to the mids, but with a nice bump in the lower bassier regions that gives the low end a sweet juicy feel. still, an overall very articulate, very sweet, very satisfying sound under your finger tips.

then there's the Epifani Ultralites, which sound like they're regular brethren, but with a bit more emphasis in the upper middle mids for a slightly more upfront flavor. of all the "tone coloring" cabs i use (i've since become an Acme aficionado, too ;)), these are easily my fav.

tho they're incredibly pricey, they sound terrific yet weigh FAR less than any other cab out there. so, you can stay with your dual 4x10 setup, but only have to deal with half the weight!

and as for your power amp, i'd just go parallel, so you can vary the amount to each cab. a 2x10 and 2x12 couldnt be anymore different, and they are gonna send out some different levels, but give both series and parallel a try and see what works for you.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What Joker said.:D

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I run my QSC PLX1602 bridged (1600W) into a 4 ohm load (Berg HT322).
    I am a big believer in having plenty of power and dynamic headroom available. I tend toward the bridged camp, but if you have the scratch to get a really good hi-power amp (like say a QSC
    PL 4.0--1400Wpc @ 4 ohm; 2000Wpc @ 2 ohm; 2800W bridged @ 8ohm; 4000W bridged @ 4 ohm or
    PL 6.0 OFC--2500Wpc @ 4 ohm; 3150Wpc @ 2 ohm; 5000W bridged @ 8ohm; 6300W bridged @ 4 ohm),
    that would give you a lot more options with what you could run off it and which modes you could use.

If I had $ufficient fund$, that'$ what I would u$e ($$$$$).

8. I have played neither of these, but since they are both highly sought after cabs, I would say go for the cheaper ones;) :bassist:
  9. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Question for you...I also use QSC power, although a 1450, how do you like the aguilar db659 with it? I've been curious about trying it.

10. Dave, the Aguilar pre works quite well with the RMX850; if I could make a wish though, the output level of the aggie could be a bit higher, it almost takes 80% of the aggies's master volume to drive the QSC properly, increasing tubes' hum too. But its not too bad, either; I guess other tube preamps behave like this too, maybe a higher input sensitivity with the power amp should solve that as well