2x12 + 2x10 vs. 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I am considering upgrading from a 1x15 + tweeter (550 watt driver by the way... HUGE bottom end, but large encolsure) to something a little more portable and with quicker transient response. I was wondering, anybody do a 2x12 + 2x10 combination? If so, how does it sound? I am under the impression that 12's can give thicker bottom end than 10's but with more mids than 15's can. Am I correct on assuming I could get more bottom end with some 12's under some 10's than a single 4x10? I know you can get some kickass 4x10 cabinets these days, but I want to go with the modular type system and have 2 smaller cabs for portability reasons. I can honestly say that I thought of this combination myself and that I have never seen anyone using it yet. Please someone tell me I am not weird and that other people are heading in this direction :)
  2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    My understanding is that it has a lot to do with how the cabinet is tuned. I have an Ampeg 2x10 with a horn and love it. It is a fairly big cabinet and gets good low end as well as the punch you expect from 10's. I tried a Hartke 2x10 with the same amp and loved the punch but it did not have much rumble. I play mostly jazz (upright and electric) so I like the punch that 10's have.
  3. I am currently using a Avatar 2X10 + 2X12 cab setup and have found that it works very well. avatar is not the best speakers out there but they were cheap and have performed great for me without any problems. Generally speaking the 12's give a great low end and fill out the lower mids, while the 10's give you that high end punch and fill out the upper mids. I think it is a good way to go.

if you look at many of the new very high end cabs like Bergantino and Epifani make you see that they often have 2 10" speakers paired with a 12" speaker.

many companies are making 2X12's these days so shop around depending on how much money you have to spend.
  4. 2x12+2x10=more speaker coverage and low end than 4x10

Granted you won't get the same lows as a 15, but the lower freq's will be more easily reproduced by the 12's than 4 10's. And the 12 's and 10's will really give you a ton of midrang punch.
  5. A lot of the Avatar owners these days are going with a 2x12 2x10 rig with good results. All of your assumptions about the 12s are correct in a general sense. I own an Avatar 2x12 cab myself and agree with an earlier assessment that it has good lows and low mids but lacks a little in the high mids.

Based on my recent experience I now prefer 12s to 15s for bottom end.
  6. Hi!

Personnaly, I would say: "Go for a 2*12+2*10" think for your poor back, it's easier to carry, and you will have two tweeter.
    That's a very good add for the treble, your sound is going to be different!

This is just MHO
  7. I occasionly use an Aguilar GS212 with a Swr Goliath Jr. (2x10). This is a great combination...much lighter then most 4x10 cabinets. I say go for it !
  8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Well, so far so good. Thanks for all the replies and due to me wanting to preserve my back, and that my assumptions are generally correct, I think this is the way I will go. I am a little over 15 inch speakers, being the only thing I have played through for the past year and a half, so I am definitely going this way for something a little different that seems to have a slight edge on a 4x10. Thanks.
  9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I use at 2x12 + 2x10 setup as well and agree with those above - lots more low end than a 4x10. However your total weight will be more than a 4x10. My avatar 2x12 is 70 lbs and it is the same size as their 1x15. My 2x10 is about 50 so the stack is about 120. I definitely prefer the 2x12 to a 15 but sometimes I wish I had stuck with all 10s. I think mixing 2 different types of speaker sizes can lead to a more versatile sound but my lack cut and coherence due to the speed and projection differences of different speaker sizes. My current gas is for a Berg NV610 which I haven't played through yet but has excellent reviews. A couple 4x10s would probably make me smile too. I'd have to say for my purposes though the 2x12 and 2x10 works well and adapts to many different circumstances. It certainly is portable considering how much sound I get out of it.
  10. I use an Ernieball 2x12 and a Mesa Powerhouse 2x10. I get great punch and bottom end from that set up.
  11. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Phridg, im in the same boat as you. Id trying to find reasons why i dont want a 2X12 & 2X10 setup. Last week i played through a Trace 2x15 and while it sounded bloody great, i always saw headaches when it came to moving it about.
    I could live with a 4x10 but id always be wondering if it was "enough".
    I think a trip to the Bass Centre is required ;)
    So.. just to add another element to this question, does anyone worry about matching brands when it comes to running two cabs? Do you want to keep it all the same, or is it a bit of Ampeg and a bit of SWR?