Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 avatars loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    would 2x12 avatar speakers be loud enough for a loud modern rock band? id be going against a 4x12 guitar half stack powered with 100 watts. ive been thinking about getting 2 1x12 cabs for ultra portability. maybe 1x12 and 2x10's, or a 2x12 cab and 2x10's. what do you guys think? i played thru some 12 inchers today and really dig the lows they put out. warm and thumpy but so much more musical then 15's.

2. you gotta tell us the head you are using. but probably yes

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yeah. More info.

But the early diagnosis is "yes". You should be ok, if you have the appropriate power and such.

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    havent decided on a head yet. prolly something around 300-400 watts. maybe the ashdown mag 300.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hmm. Well, I'd probably recommend a little more power, but it would probably get the job done. Get a good idea of how loud your guitar player will be when your playing live... it might be different than just practice.

I'd recommend 400-600Watts for security in the headroom department.

6. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    yeah i miss my swr bass 750... :bawl: was always plenty of headroom with her. anyways im lookin for some big low end with a bit of growl. im thinkin the only way to acheive this sound would be 2x12's with 2x10's. i dont know if 1x12 would put out enough thump. anyone have experience with 1x12 cabs?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh the MAG 300 and the 2 x 12 are my exact rig (see sig for pic). Its great. My guitarist uses 100 watt 212 and my volume is fine. Go for it. My rig sounds great.

8. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    wow it loox like the mag was made for avatars! very kewl. :cool: does your rig pump out warm lows?

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yah GK 1001, whoops I mean....nevermind! :smug:

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hard to describe. Its more mid-happy. I used to use Ampeg and that was more warm muddy lows.

11. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Yeah, I've seen how loud those two can get. It'll do fine, trust me.

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I thought of gettting that Ava 2x12 cab to go below my SWR Goli III 4x10 or sometimes it will be teamed with my SWR, SOB 1x15. My amps, GBE 600 or GK 1001, put out either 425 or 540watts @ 4 ohms. But I also noticed the SWR working man 1x15 (200 watts) cabs are going quite cheap these days, much cheaper than another SOB cab. Might my cabs sound better with the Avatar 2x12 rather than Workingman 1x15 for my R&B, Motown,disco, blues group? How might the efficiency of each of those cabs come into play with my amps available watts? Using a 4 MIM Jazz, 55-01 or Sray 5. Never get any PA support.

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    well i like lots of low-mid for groove bass. will the 12's do a good low-mid bump?

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm running the Music Man 2x12. I hear that the Avatar is somewhat smilar in that it is a very full range cab. You won't want to pair it with 15's from my experience. The cab's seem to conflict more than they compliment was what I found. The 2x12 goes deep enough on it's own. A better bet would be a pair of the 2x12 and a decent EQ and enough power to let you shape the tone you are looking for. That's assuming you really need all that volume. THe single 2x12 will get pretty darned loud on it's own IF it has enough clean power behind it.

Personaly I wouldn't think a Mag 300 would have enough juice. I'd be looking at significantly more power than that. Especially given your desire for Low end ... How bout a nice pre & power setup. You should be able to do that somewhat inexpensively... Caveat here is that I run a very clean tone. Like the sign says. No Shirts, No Shoes, No Distortion ... or something like that anyway ...

15. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Wattage is a funny thing. I'm running a BBE Bmax with a PLX-3402. On one channel of the amp, two Aguilar GS-212's each getting 550 watts, and on the other channel, an Avatar B410 getting 1100 watts. 2200 watts total. My guitar player plays through a 100 watt Mesa Mark I with a single 12" speaker. I swear, if he turns that thing past 4, I'm just keeping up. Never ceases to amaze me.

Jon

16. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ah you said it brother. Same Bmax with a RMX 2450...2400 watts in mono going to 212 and 410 Avatar...if my 2 guitarist wanted to with there 100 and 50 watt full stacks could blow me out no problem. However...the 212 alone is a very worthy cab...should be loud enough. I powered it with a Hartke 4000, 350 watts if I remember right, and it was loud enough.