1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x12 bass cabinet speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I am having a vertical. 2 x12 cab built from birch .... 4 ohms. What are suggestions for speakers and from where to get them. It's a shame other existing builders won't listen about vertical cabs.... I've seen threads already on design... I'm going with 4 ohms , no horn, playing country and pop mostly... Eden bass head wt550 lately . I love mid range and low mids.... Thanks to all

2. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Several owners of speaker cabinet companies are members here and contribute regularly. Maybe one of them can be of assistance. Also check the other forums on TB. There are some that are moderated by people who can help you get some answers. I know nothing about that but I have gotten excellent advice from those who do. I'm assuming you've not visited the Greenboy pages as they have vertical cabs with two 12s that are very good. Also one with two vertical 15s that will move your house off it's foundation.

3. The problem is that speaker cabinets design STARTS with the selection of the woofer. From the parameters of that particular driver you can design a suitable enclosure that will allow it to work at it's best. Doing things the other way around is just "speakers in a box" and is not ideal, in fact it's a crapshoot!

4. I'm surprised by the comment "It's a shame other existing builders..." Genz-Benz, GK, Bergantino are some of the names I've heard amazing things about their 2x12s.

5. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    It's a crap shoot if you don't know the dimensions and tuning. But if you're having it built, maybe there's still time. Even if it's built already there might be great candidates.

So answer these questions to get the best advice:
    - Is it sealed or ported?
    - If ported, what are the port dimensions? Are they tubes or slats or something else?
    - What are the internal dimensions / internal box volume?

I'm a big fan of the vertical 212, too.

6. Yes. Step 1. pick the speaker. I recommend Eminence, or Faital Pro

7. I own 2, Dr Bass 112LF cabs. 500 watts & 8ohms each, No horn in either, Eminence Delta 12LF drivers in both which IMHO, is one the best speakers for Bass out there.

Both cabs are 15.325"h x 20.75"w x 17.5"d, ported in the front and they move a lot of air & kick out a lot of low end. The depth of my cabs seems to be one of the most important variables. If I could have gotten a 2x12 vertical cab built like the 2 I have, I totally would have gone that route. I get a lot of compliments on those cabs.

Here's what they look like.
    b2550-7f6711af96ee0f8026651e434ea46c49.

I really like the looks of the Ear Candy Bass Bomb 2x12's and have heard good things about those.
    [​IMG]
    http://earcandycabs.com/bassbomb/

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    What about turning a typical 212 on its side? Instant vertical orientation.

9. They do look nice but if you order one or two they'll be the best cabinets you never receive!

10. Come on Andy! That's just too obvious! :D

Hmm, why didn't I think of that?? :)

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    I owned ear candy cabs, complete junk and avoid at all costs.
    Just look at the port sizes- they chuff horribly. One of my few regrets in gear purchases in the last 10 years.

12. But just look at that OSB baffle board! That's high quality boy :rollno: Don't they make ear buds now? :p

13. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    One of us needs to clean his bifocals. :p
    That looks like a maple veneer to me.

14. I'd read that on the net but didn't want to go spreading things but I did read a few disturbing threads. The designs look cool and I did actually have a conversation with someone who owned 2 Bassbombs & he loved them.

That being said, it took me a long time to get my cabs from DR Bass but in the end I was happy with them. I was really bummed to see all the unhappy folks here in the Dr Bass thread. I'd hope to get a few more cabs from them and/or have one custom built.

15. If you do they'll be like the Emperor's clothes: not there.

It's all very sad for our Brothers and Sisters who are still waiting for what they ordered. I really feel for them.

Edit: I should have added : and paid for.

16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Been using EV Pros and love them.
    P1240128.