2X12 cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bent23, Feb 27, 2001.

1. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I have an opportunity to purchase two 2X12 (100w 8 ohms) ADA cabinets from someone for $250.00. He used them in his home studio for guitar, but claims that they would work equally well for bass. I believe the model number is T2-12C Celestion or T2-12V Celestion Vintage (they employ celestion drivers/speakers).
    Is it unwise or wasteful to attempt to use these with my Trace Elliot AH600/7, or would they be better suited for guitar or keyboards?

I'm going to purchase them either way, as I have a keyboard that could use amplification, but I wanted to know if they were suitable for Bass.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think you'd be better off not trying to use guitar speakers for bass. they aren't that beefy, and some are designed to distort easily.
  3. KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    Trust me, the sound will suck.
    The speakers handle less power (some have 25w speakers in it). They'll have no decent bass response, to the point that a low B string could blow them easily.
    I'd say stay away from that thing.
    Who would pay 250 dollars for a used ADA 2x12??? It's probably not even worth 150.
  4. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Actually, I purchased them knowing that I could still use them as guitar cabinets. If you read my post, you'll know that I paid $250 total for TWO 2X12 cabs.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I got a steal on an Eden D-212-XLT cab for $450. I bought it, and I didn't like it. It had plenty of bottom and low mids, but no amount of EQ would bring up the highs. So I sold it to our sound man, who loves it. I guess I'm just used to 10's. So anyway, it could turn out that you wouldn't like 'em even if they didn't suck.