Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zonk, Sep 21, 2000.

1. zonk

zonk

Sep 19, 2000
    I've been thinking about completing my set up with an Eden 2x12 cab but havn't tried them. I've heard that a 2x12 will give me a pretty beefy low end a still provide a quicker response than a single 15. I plan to use a Kern Preamp and a Carvin Fet 1000. If You have any experience using a 2x12 cab, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

2. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I've owned every amp, cabinet, and so on and I'm a huge fan of the 2X12. I own an Eden 2X12 and it has the best full range sound I've heard. I also own the 410 XLT and though it sounds good it just doesn't have the depth or the mids as the 2X12. This cabinet excells live. I find much easier to hear than the 410. It just cuts through everything. I think most "modern" 410's are tuned to have a boost in the low and high and a cut in the mids. Well, this works very well by itself when your not playing with drums and guitars but you get lossed in a band situation. Now you can EQ some of the mids back but it doesn't sound natural. The response of the 212 sounds more natural with the extra mid range content so you don't have to EQ as much.

3. zonk

zonk

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks Ka-tet,

I agree with you about 410 cabinets. I was having trouble hearing myself through the band using an Ampeg 410-HLF even with different eq settings. I was able to feel the bass but had trouble hearing the notes. I think a 212 cab is what I've been looking for. Got to go demo one if I can find one.

4. Goodmorning.. erhmm well anyway..

I have got the discontinued SWR Bigfoot 2x12 (with tweeter) And it works fine for me, since it has both warm bottom and punchy mids. The tweeter might be a bit over the top sometimes, so it is nice to have a pad to turn it down on the back of the cab. The 4x10 ive tried all lacked bottom except one, the Mesa Boogie 4x10 (Low) it really could kill small rodents running over the stage ;) Well too bad the Mesas are heavy and very expensive, but when I et myself a roadie....he he... Well anyway go try the 2x12s outI can recommend them.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I really like my Epifani 2x12 for basically the same reasons as Mr Ka-Tet. Very smooth, not "barky" or "honky" and the detuned low A is great through this cab. I haven't heard the Eden 2x12, but I know my Epi. blows away the Eden 4x10 I compared it to in the store.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Not really an answer to your question, but maybe still interesting:

Yesterday I learned, that the quality of cabs and amps seems to have more influence on sound than speaker configuration.
    I had to play through a Yorkville 400W head w/ Trace Elliot 4x10 cab - it was horrible! Boomy and undefined low frequency noise, so to say - no matter how I set the EQ.
    Compared to that, my Ampeg 2x15 sounds really tight and very well defined...

BTW I'm also looking into getting a 2x12 - as I live near Germany I'm gonna give the new Glockenklang 'Double' a try.
    I guess you can compare that to the Epifani.

Matthias

7. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I would also like to hear the Glock 2x12. the 4x10 sounds really...really good. It's also double the price of other 4x10's.

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Do you have the SVT 215E cabinet? How do you like it? The specs are very impressive (good low freq. extension and high efficiency). Can you verify the specs and how the cabinet sounds? If I were to get it, the main use would be funk. Do you think it's good for that application? Is it as loud and deep as the specifications indicate? Thanks very much for any comments you can share.
    Mike

9. I've got one of those T-212s on order (a T-310 too), and it should arrive in about a week, being drop shipped from Epifani to me. I'm really looking forward to it. I think I'm really going to like the 2x12 sound.

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Where are all the Trace fans protesting? ;)
    I think I have to rehabilitate Trace Elliot:
    Two days later I had toplay through a 4x10 Trace Elliot combo (GP 11 or something like that) and it was really decent sounding.
    So I guess the Yorkville head was the weak part - or the Trace cab was worn out completely...

Matthias

12. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks for your reply.
    Mike

13. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Here I am! I agree, the Yorkville HAD to have been the weak link. I use the 1048H Trace cab and it is crisp and clear as a bell!

14. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    A T-212 AND a T-310?? Are you thinking of using both of these at the same time? I can' timagine any gig where I would need more than my one 2x12. You can really load up on the wattage and not worry about it. Hell, I'm already louder than the PA.

15. I seem to recall you posting about wanting to add a second T-212 to your rig and how your Aguilar DB 728 would be able to drive them both great.

Anyway, my intention is to use both only for outdoor gigs where there is no bass assist from the PA. I got caught in that situation quite a few times over this past summer, and my pair of Acmes was not adequate for the task. For indoor gigs I'm sure I'll use just one of the two cabs. I'm lazy enough that I sure don't want to haul two when one will do.

Unfortunately, UPS was supposed to deliver my first one (the T-310) yesterday, but there's been no sign of it since it left Epifani last Tuesday. I hope it's not lost. Man, I hate UPS.

16. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yes I did, and yes it would.

17. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    ka-tet:
    I've seen on a price list that there is also an Eden CXC212 cab - do you know how it performs compared to the D212XLT?

coyoteboy:
    Are those Epifani T212 power hungry? Do you think my 400W Hughes&Kettner head will be sufficient? (for one T212 of cause)

Thanks,
    Matthias

18. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I haven't heard the CXC 212 but if its like any of the rest of the CXC line it sucks. I wish Eden wouldn't have come out with that line. They should have kept on doing what they were doing and left the budget minded gear to the Nemisis line.

19. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well, that's clear ;)
    Thanks!
    Matthias

20. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    My 2x12 doesn't seem power hungry to me. I've owned Acme's and although I don't think they are as power hungry as some say, they are certainly noticeably less efficient than the Epi 2x12. I am currently running a 400 watt Aguilar, and It's more than plenty for the 2x12 (your mileage with your head may vary)