Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12" cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Niskamies, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I have a Ashdown ABM 4x10" cab, but it seems that everytime I play a cab with a 15" speaker, I get a more growly sound that I want. The problem is that with the 15" speaker my slapping doesn't sound as good and fast playing gets muddy.

How are the 2x12" cabs? EBS offers one for a good price, I should test it soon. Are they the best compromise between the attack and clarity of the 10" speakers and the bottom from 15" speakers? The EBS 2x12" has a tweeter, so I think that slapping will sound good.

All comments about 2x12" cabs(and even 4x12") are wanted!

2. Definitely check out the Avatar 212 cab. It is one the best cabs I've used and it's really inexpensive. They are on par with the big names. Avatarspeakers.com. I run my 212 with an Eden WT-800 head and I pump the full 800 watts into that cab. I play four and five string basses and it sounds great all the way down to the "B." You should also do a search, there's alot of great info on some of the past threads.

I just wanted to add that the only other 212 cab that I've personally tried is the Glockenklang 212, and it was too expensive, and in all honesty, it didn't sound much better than the Avatar. In my opinion. ;)

3. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I also have the Avatar 212, that is a great first cab. And it sounds good. As far as slapping goes it is nice. I blew out my tweeter yesterday, ( Bieng stupid with distortion)but it still sounds great. I would pick that 212 over ANY 1+15 in the world. Great cab, great price, great service.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    To add to the post:
    More 2x12 cabs to try would be:
    -Aguilar GS-212
    -SWR Bigfoot (2x12) if you can find a used one!
    -An LDS 2x12. You could get it cheaper than Aguilar w/ cool cabinet covering or cool speaker grill/cloth. Whatever!

I've never tried Avatar but I'm sure it is as good as everyone says it is so do what is best for you! I used to play an SWR Silverado Special (2x12 combo) and it was awesome. It had two Bag End 12" speakers and a Foster horn and it cooked! Good luck w/ the 2x12 revolution. :hyper:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use an ashdown with an avatar 2x12 and its awesome (see sig for pic). I slap a lot and my slap tone is great, and my fingerstyle tone is precise, cutting, and middy.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Technically, the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. is a 2x12 (plus mid and two tweeters). The Epifani T-212 is another great 2x12, as is the Bergantino HT212 (which is no longer made). I used to own an Eden 212XLT, and it is one of my favorite Eden cabs. The 2x12 design is quite viable, and while I have not heard their 2x12's, I am sure that Avatar, Dr. Bass, and Low Down Sound all offer great options as well.

Tom.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    +1 on the above comments about the Avatar.

But there are a few cabs out there that combine different size drivers in the same box; the Schroeder 1210 and 21012 come to mind. Rather than trying to compromise between 10s and 12s, or 10s and 15s, maybe you'd prefer to have both, working together for clarity and deep bottom? :)

8. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1 on the eden 212XLT.

danman

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

+1 on the Avatar!

10. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Nice looking stack there:) Does your Sterling growl with that setup?

Thanks for the recommendations, but the only problem is that I live in Finland, and all those exotic(well, to me they are) cabs are not available here. No Bergantinos, no Aguilars, no Avatars:( Well, IMO EBS has the best amps, and the cabs are excellent as well, so I don't think I make a big mistake with EBS.

11. Quadzilla

Avatar now ships overseas (using a thrid party shipper). Check his site for details (www.avatarspeakers.com).

12. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    In the FAQ they said that they don't ship. Bet the shipping fee will be huge, but I'll have to check it.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks. Yeah the tone is great, really present middy growl.

14. I have the Avatar 212 and am very pleased for four and fivers, never had slap issues although i mostly fingerstyle and plec. I should think the other makers do a good job with this unique cab. it pairs nicely with a 210 and i wonder about a 410.
    Avatar is a great independent small business with excellent service and accountability - and wow are they affordable.

Figgy, we are in parrallel gear universes I have a Godin FW5 and Avatar and today I get my Sterling! Your Godin is like a thousand times cooler than mine, tho.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    heh, thanks. The godin was my main bass for a year until i got my Sterling a few months ago. The sterling is amazing. THe tones are completely different. The godin (i usually solo the P) has bartolini pups in it and it gets a very nice smooth P tone. The sterling is aggressive and has a crazyyy good tone, love the slap tone, mmmmmmmmm :)

16. Quadzilla

He just starting shipping overseas. Guess he needs to update the FAQ, but he told me this on the phone and I think I saw it on his site under "ordering information". Considering that the dollar is in the toilet compared to the Euro, you can probably get a great deal!

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm almost surely going to be able to afford to get one or more Avatar cabs within a couple months (our band only has one Saturday off in the next two months!).

Maybe you guys could tune me up on a couple things...

- What do you figure would be the difference in sound between the 2X12 and TWO 1X12s? (I'm picturing maybe ending up driving three 1X12s @ 2.7 Ohms with a solid state amp that's rated to drive down to 2.0 Ohms. I like the idea of the striaght, tall, vertical line-array. I also like the idea of being able to haul the whole beast in my self one cab at-a-time.)

- I'd love to run tweeter-less if I could. I don't want mud-sound, but I badly need gut-rumbling lows (which my current rig OR our bandS PA doesn't have now) - on the other hand I don't really care for high-freq roundwound 'ding' either. I've been boosting upper-mids a lot on my Hartke 4X10 bottom (which I'd like to get rid of, not add to - I don't care for it too much, but I'd probably start-out putting my first Avatar under it, and running them together). I usually use the bridge pickup on my 5-string with the tone rolled-off quite a bit. I ALWAYS use a compression pedal, and also very often use light overdrive for the synth-ish growl I get from the lower harmonics, but really try to illiminate scratchy, high-freq fuzz-sound (my OD-sound is scratchy direct to the PA). For some songs I love fret-clack (neck pup with the tone knob UP all-the-way), but here I'm talking about an upper-mids thing too! Would It be reasonable for me to run three Avatar 1X12s without the tweeters, even if I have to EQ-in some extra highs?

OR! - am I pretty-much stuck running tens if I want to go tweeter-less? I guess I just like the idea of twelves, and admit that I'd like the LOOK of three Avatar 1X12 cabs over two sideways 2X10s (I'd have to run them sideways to go with my line-array goal).

I don't actually even own a stage rig right now. I've been borrowing the Hartke 140W head and 4X10 bottom that I've been using from our guitarist for almost two years! I gotta do something soon, and I'm really looking forward to having my own rig. It must have gut-quivering lows, but at the same time I want note articulation to be clear-clear-clear without the use of 'crispy-ness' to achieve clear-ness! It's growly-mids for me! I guess the thing is: I HAVE to contrubute solid room-rumbling lows from my rig for the band I'm with, even If I had to run some tweets - the real priorities are sold, tavern-filling lows, and growly mids!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll definately use it to make a very-soon decision on what I'm going to do. I'll let y'all know how it works out -

Joe

18. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    It is possible, but I'm concerned about shipping expences. I asked idahopercussion.com on sshipping a drumset, and the shipping fee was almost 600 US.

19. The difference in commercial cabs is the 1x12 is more likely to be closer to the required internal volume. This is even more true for two 1x15 vs. a single 2x15.

If the cabs are correctly engineered, the 2x12 will have twice the internal volume of the 1x12. Sound is the same, only the big cab is harder to haul around. Since you are going to parallel all three cabs, then three 1x12 is not a bad idea, and easier to haul.

A commercial 2x12 will be less expensive than two 1x12.

20. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The shipping for a 2x12" cab will be 180-250 US. With Vat and the shipping, the cab will cost 460 euros. Still not bad, IMO.