1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x12 Conundrum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burgerdj, Sep 30, 2008.

1. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I'm in the market for a new/used 2x12 cabinet after realizing that my current set-up is just not cutting it for gigs with no FOH support. I've narrowed the selection down to one of the following cabinets:

Mesa Powerhouse 2x12
    Aguilar DB 2x12
    Dr. Bass 2x12

I'm running an Eden WT330 head, so I'd like to go with a 4 ohm cabinet.

Does anyone have any experience running an Eden head with any of these cabinets? I know a lot of guys swear by Eden/Eden set ups, but I really can't stand the rat-fur cabinets.

Cheers,
    Dan

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Have you considered Avatar? I'm shopping for a 212, and that's probably what I'm going to get.

3. I lubs me my Avatar B212 Neo, out of the three you mentioned I've only played the Mesa and it was awesome, however the Avatar sounds just as good IMO, if not better. The Mesa sounded a bit "thicker" or "deeper" to my ears but doesn't have the lowmid grunt and punch of the Avatar, hope this helps, or at least makes sense.

4. I bought a 15 year old Hughes and Kettner 2x12" for $120 awhile back. I regret selling it so much. It had Eminence speakers in it.

The Eden 212XLT is a good cab, but it's a haus. I was looking at them
    Avater seems the way to go for affordablity and punch.

5. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    I have a 4 ohm Aguilar GS212, my WT400 cuts a rediculous amount of gigs with that cab. It's a great set-up! :cool:

Heaps of volume AND awesome tone!

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Can i ask why the 1212L isnt listed as that would have my vote if it was.

7. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    That Schroeder 1212L looks tasty - and it looks to have a hard spray-on coating. Any idea how much it costs direct?

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The prices are on the website. Being based here in the UK i cant really comment on prices.

I find my 1212L to be louder than the UL212 i used to own. Both 4 ohms but the 1212L blows the UL off stage.
    I guess it does depend on the tone your looking for though.
    I found the UL212 to be a bit scooped and a bit muddy at the low end for my tastes. I do play a lot of hollow wooden stages though but after doing the same gigs with each cab i can tell the 1212L is cutting through much better.

All IME of course.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Burg, Get a 4 ohm Eden 212XLT to go with your Eden head....after you hear that combination you'll not notice the cabinet's covering!!!!

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Of those three, the only one that I have firsthand experience is the Mesa/Boogie, and I like it a lot. I have had good luck in the past mixing Eden amps with Mesa/Boogie cabs, and the P212 certainly sounds great with my WT-550 and WT-405.

Tom.