Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 for a 1x15. Would you do this trade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 15, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I can trade my SWR Bigfoot 2x12 cab for a brand new EBS 115.
    The reason for doing this is to get louder. The Bigfoot is only 95 dB SPL and the EBS is 103 dB SPL. I will probably ad another cab to the 115 later when I got the money. But, in the meantime, would you do the trade?
    Do you think the 115 will be louder in real life?

2. I would ask myself why the other guy is willing to take your cab in trade for his.

Cab manufacturers have a nasty habit of measuring SPL at some worthless frequency, say 1,000 Hz. Be careful, as the 103 SPL specs may be utter bullsh*t.

Which EBS 15 is being considered? The 15F goes down substantially lower than the 15H model. Also, both EBS cabs are good to 3,000 Hz (no tweeter). The Bigfoot has a tweeter and is good to 15,000 Hz.

I'd also ask myself about the claimed SPL 103 from the EBS. Especially looking over my spread sheet and seeing no 15" drivers that will actually produce 103 SPL except the JBL E130, and that is a guitar speaker. SPL 103 from a single 15" bass driver sounds like a load of crap to me.

Sorry if I sound negative on this, but when a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Its the 15H model. Its got plenty of highs and lows for my taste. Im playing a 4 string Fender J with flats. The EBS cab sounds great and it should at least be a bit more efficient than my Bigfoot, right?
    I´ll probably ad a 2x10 later.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I suspect EBS is cheaper and SWR is more expensive over there by Jock...

5. The 2x12 cabinet has more speaker surface area than the 1x15. Roughly 226 vs 176 square inches. Based on this alone I wouldn't switch cabinets. Try them out and see which sounds better to you if you are still thinking about making the trade! -Wes

6. The average piston area of 12" drivers is 82 square inches and 132 square inches for a 15" driver.

The 2x12 is 164 square inches compared to 132 square inches for the 15" driver. Without knowing the Xmax value of both drivers, it is impossible to guess which combination actually displaces more air volume.