1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x12 not loud enough, sometimes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatbass, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    I have a Glockenklang 2x12 (8 ohm), powered by either a Glockenklang Soul II (about 250 watt) or a QSC PLX1602 (300 watt). It's not loud enough for some of the gigs I do.

Right now I'm a semi-pro, trying to become a pro. I play most gigs as sideman. I play and really like a variety of genres: bebop, 'latin', 'modern jazz', pop, rock, funk, soul etc.. I play double bass as well as bass guitar.

Whenever I'm asked to play a rock-type gig, I feel that my amp's not loud enough. It's close, I don't get complaints from bandmembers at all, but I'd like to set it just a bit louder to be at the same level as the drums.
    If I would play rock gigs all the time, I would buy a second 2x12 immediately. Yet I don't, and most original music rock gigs don't pay that much either.

I don't know what music I'll play in a year or so. I might play mostly acoustic jazz, back up a singer in a pop band, play in a fusion band... It all depends on what gigs I can get. I'm looking for one steady band to play with, instead of all the one-off gigs, projects, background music and substitute-gigs I'm doing now. On the other hand, I do like rock music and always try to have a band or project in that genre going, regardless of if it's bringing in money.

Should I buy another 2x12 to have enough volume for the rock gigs for now and the future? Accepting the chance that I may have a €1200 cabinet sitting in my room doing nothing.

Or wait until I can get steady work in one genre and decide again? If that ever happens... and right now just do the best I can with what I have.

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Buy another 2x12 Glock. ;)

3. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    It's tempting! :smug:

But I'm not sure if I can really justify it.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Add speakers, not more watts.... that will get you the volume you need. Another 2x12 (used if $$$ is an issue) and you will get the volume coverage you need.

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

I'll justify it for you!! Surely you could nab a used one for under €800 or so. :cool:

cheers!

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A 2nd identical cab is the BEST option, for many good reasons.

7. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Thanks, but it's not about whether adding another 2x12 is going to be the solution. The question is, would you spend that kind of money on something that you might not use all that much.

I've never seen a used Glock 2x12 light -yes, I need the light- over here... :(

8. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    Not knowing (or looking up) that head, does it have two power channels? And does Glockenklang make a 1x12 with the same driver?

If yes to both, that could be a way to go. Just enough oomph to put you over that hump, for less money and less schleppage. (I'm considering adding a 12/6/1 cube to my 1212/6/1, which would work with my setup.)

If no... either get the matching 2x12 or live with the volume you have now. :)

9. This set up will kill!

10. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Do bass players take a spare bass with them just in case?
    Do bass players take a spare amp with them just in case?
    Do you buy another 2x12 just in case you need it for the volume?
    I would answer yes to all of the above.

11. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    If you're in Europe, you may want to check out Barefaced cabs. They're supposed to be loud and light. The Big Twin is their flagship model and may be more than loud enough as an upgrade replacement for your 2x12.

12. Schroeder 1212

13. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you've already committed to a band or type of music or room size that requires two cabs, even if it's just one gig a year where that second cab is needed, then yes, you are obligated to bring that second cab to that job. The consequences to you simply do not matter. It's like an I.T. person underestimating a server upgrade; even if it turns out he needs more "stuff" than he initially anticipated and budgeted for, too damn bad -- honor requires that he provide it on his own dime, and that it be completely transparent to the client. If the notion of keeping a second cab around doesn't sit well with you, then you should give your notice to the band you believe you need it for.

However, you said there have been no complaints from the loud band. So, if you get a second cab, could that signal the start of a volume war, even if unintended? I've seen it happen, and I've been in them. I own a pair of very capable 212 cabs.

Also, four 12s on stage is a lot behind the mics. Think bleed into the mains, with the phasing/delay problems/cancellations that go along with that.

Final point: Four 12s might be an indicator that the band needs to invest in a good centrally located sub so you can keep your volume down (down even from where it is today).

Hope this helps.

14. +1 to adding another Glockenklang 2x12.

Good as a backup.
    Good for more volume.

A real pro is prepared.

15. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Thanks for the suggestions.

The Soul II amp is mono. However, I could add a 1x12 by using the QSC poweramp. I rather not do that, though. If I'm going to spend money on a cab, it might as well be another 2x12. Besides, I don't like to mix speaker cabs.

bertbass666, yes I do bring a backup bass and amp. Both the bass and amp are cheap, but decent. They won't sound great, but will get me through the gig. So far, I've never needed them :)
    Another 2x12 would be quite expensive...

Schroeder, Barefaced... nice ideas, but... last year I spend months looking at different amps and finally decided on Glockenklang and I'd like to stick with that brand. I don't feel like starting a new amp/cab search again. Especially not if it's stuff that I have to order online and send back if I don't like it.

Basically: it's either another Glock 2x12 or nothing. 1. Buy something that would come in handy sometimes, or 2. play it safe and wait until I know for sure what I need.

16. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Why do you need a second amp? If the 212 is 8 ohm just get another 8ohm cab and run them parallel. Why not get a Glock 112? That way you could run that for smaller jazz gigs, run the 212 for medium gigs, then run them both for larger gigs.

17. Then his wattage distribution would be messed up and hte single 12 would both limit total output and risk damage.
    Off a second amp however, it could be balanced so as to fix both issues.

18. ulynch

ulynch

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    You may not need a second cab. You may only need to lift the one you have to ear level. Are you playing to your shins?

19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Risk damage to what? If the cab is rated to the 4 ohm output of the head it shouldn't be an issue. I've run 112 and 210 cabs together with zero problems.

20. bassvid75

bassvid75

Jan 13, 2008
    +1