1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x12 or 1x15 ? Have Markbass F1, need cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zbigniew, Oct 21, 2010.

1. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Hi there fellow TalkBassers :)

I've recently bought a Markbass F1 and am shopping for a cabinet. I have a chance of a good deal on either SWR Son of Bertha 1x15 or SWR Workingman's 2x12.
    I only have money for either one, not both.

Can somenone give insight on the differences between those two? I mainly play rock music. My basses are Blade Jazz active and a Tokai Hardpuncher P-bass.

thnx, z

2. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    I learnt that the Workingmans 2x12 is 250w/8ohms and the SOB is 300w/8ohms. The F1 puts out 300w/8ohms.
    So maybe this is a no-brainer from that info? Can the 2x12 handle the F1 well?

I've also read that the SOB has a quick response for a 1x15 so that might tip me to choosing that one.

What is the experience from 2x12? Do the have low-mid sound or would you describe it differently?

I hope someone chimes in :help:

z

3. The 'power rating' of a cab has little to do with anything. It doesn't represent 'what the cab needs', and unless your amp power is multiple times higher (like 5 times), you will virtually never have an issue with your speakers failing due to too much power. Even then, that's what the master volume is for!

Not familiar with that 212, although the other Workingman's cabs I've tried have been very bright and very tight, with a somewhat harsh tweeter. The 15 you are looking at, from my memory of playing one back in the day, will be a bit wider, smoother, and more 'airy/sizzly' up top versus lower treble bright.

I guess if those were my only two options, I'd go with the higher quality Bertha from the SWR pro line. That should sound good as long as you don't need a massive amount of volume.

That head is wonderful, and will make most cabs sound their best... very even and punchy when set flat (i.e., tone controls at noon, filters off).

4. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Thank you very much KJung for a helpful answer.

I will almost certainly buy the Son of Bertha 1x15, your answer has contributed much in that regards.

I would prefer a 2x10 from Markbass, SWR or some other quality maker but options are few on the used market here in Iceland right now.

z

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1

I used to have one.

No experience with that 212, BUT....the 12s I HAVE used, werent really "bassy" enough for me.

AND the 212 is from the "lower end " line..so...yeah, with those things added up..I'd go wit the 15

6. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Thanks man, much appreciated :cool: