Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 or 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey, I'm about to get a second cabinet. I'm looking for more punch, not as much "boomy" low end. I'm concidering a Avatar 1x15 or an Avatar 2x12. I'm planning to pair it with a Genz-Benz LS410T. Let me know your suggestions. Also, this doesn't concern this, but what is a good sounding, affordable pre-amp?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I don't know about the Avatar line, but I really prefer the 2x12 to the 1x15 because of the more focussed, less boomy sound.

Dan K.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Yea, I was just reading reviews on both the 115 and the 212 and I like more of what I'm hearing about the 212. Does anyone run the avatar 212 with a 410 on top? If so, how does it sound?

4. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Anyone else?

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end S15-D 1x15 :D
    it's pricey at $425, but it's small, portable, not muddy sounding, and very very loud and punchy. Whatever you do, i'd stay away from 2x15's only becasue they are so freakin' big.
    As far as preamps go, a lot of cats seem to like the bmax preamps (both of them) and the sans amp rackmount preamp, both of which are cheap. Used yamaha preamps are another cheap and favorite option. Used alembic F1-X and demeter VTBP-201 "blackface" 1 and 1/2 space preamps are floating around too, and can be had for 350-500 depending. Another great one to find used is the Trace elliot V-type, which has a very alembic like vibe (as does the b-max). If you don't mind the SWR sound, used grand prix preamps can usually be had for under 300 bucks as well.

6. 212 for sure... i would sound huge with a 410.

7. I would go for the 2x12 because it will be louder and able to compete with the 4x10. Or you can do what I do and use both! ;)