Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 or 1x15 ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RATZAX, Jun 2, 2005.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Help I can't decide has anyone compared a 2x12 to a 1x15 and please also state what your choice would be.To keep it simple I will be buying Avatars.
    Thanks

2. There have been lots of threads on this, so do a search. I have a hard time giving up at least one 15 inch speaker in a bass rig. I like 15s for bass, 12s for guitar and 10s for my stereo. But I keep hearing how good the current crop of 12s are and a 2x12 cab will move 50% more air than a 1x15. Consider that some very good modern cab manufacturers, Schroeder and EA for instance, don't make a 15. OTOH consider that some very good modern cab manufacturers, Demeter and Epifani for instance, do make them. Play some good ones if you can and make up your own mind.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    This is no help at all but...I'm bored.

I have an Eden 115 xlt that I kind of like so far as a 115 box goes.

I also have an Epifani 212D.

The Epi box is in a totally different universe. By ANY measure it totally kills the 115.

I think there was a difference of $200 in the cost of the two (used) and it was $200 very well spent.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have a number of 1x15 bins. Music Man, Eden and JBL. All have JBL drivers which is key IMO in getting a good full range sound from a 15. The top end of most 15's is terrible and requires a tweeter. The JBL's is extended up into the 2.5 k range which is actually a nice place for a bass speaker to roll off.

I also have a Music Man 2x12 with 6" mid/tweet and Bag End 2x10 with the co-ax driver for tweeter.

Stand alone the MM 2x12 is simply unbelievable. Very DEEP and punchy. It wants 250 clean watts to get real excited but is really friggin' loud with that. The cab is rated at 600. The drivers are significantly better sounding, especially in the tweeter department than what you'll get in an Avatar. I've also run this cab as the low end of a bi-amped rig with the BE on top. Holy smokes! You do have to know how to play with a biamped rig to get there but it's hard to beat. Downside is that the cab is pretty heavy and not fun to move w/o hand truck.

The Bag End is realatively new at 'Chez 4Mal'. So far I'm really impressed. This one came from TB'er Jerry Jean. I've run it stand alone, full range along with the 2x12 or Eden D115T or biamped on top of the Eden or MM 2x12, or along with 2 of the 1x15's everything full range. So far I have yet to find a combination that doesn't work well with this cab. I'm not really settled on what the eventual 'standard' rig will be but I'm leaning towards the Eden on the bottom and Bag End on top of a biamped rig or 2 of the Eden's with the BE averything running fullrange.

Back to your question as I've rambled ...
    The 2x12 can get really deep. It does tend to be flatter than my 1x15's going down from 100 to maybe 50. That presents me with an interesting issue. I like a little hump down in the 60 or 80 range. Somewhere in there lies an apparent increase in volume. Works well for getting a feeling of depth from my rig. All my 15's do this by themselves and feel punchier for it. The 2x12 is acutally louder but being flatter it feels as though there is less punch. Very subjective thing to describe ...

My 2x12 is kind of on the block for this reason. More often than not. I get what I want out of 2 1x15's or a single 1x15 combined with the 2x10.

One thing that makes this info a little hard to apply in your case is that the JBL 15's are a much better sounding stand alone driver than the Emminence. They ought to be given what they cost ...

I'm near Hood River, OR. I have no idea where in Or you are located but Thursday evening is open mic night at the River City Saloon. I'm there when I'm not out travelling. TB'er Passin Wind is generally there with his iamp/Schroeder rig. If it isn't too damned far for you, you ought to come on out.

PW was talking about maybe arranging a Bassist's summit over at the Saloon or somewhere nearby some time over the summer. We are a 3.5 hour drive from Seattle, 1 from Portland, 2.5 from Eugene, 2.5 from Bend and between us we can probably over night a few folks... The idea is that this would be a gear fest. We would have resident drummers and guitarists to provide a band environment. Seems like this has the potential to become a pretty cool event.

This is all conceptual at this point and nobody is talking dates yet. If it comes to pass, we'll probably talk to Paul about getting a sticky thread to get organized around.

5. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Hey Calvin- Keep me in mind for that gettogether.I am 1 1/2 hrs from Hood River so I would love to come.
    Bernie agent26341@aol.com

6. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Forgot to ask ( ok I'm ignorant) who makes a 15 cab w/the JBL you are talkng about?

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Just my two pennies.....but most of the 2/12 cabs out there smoke a 1/15 cab. I do like 15's for a old school vibe though ;)

8. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Hey Calvin-are Peavey Black widows any good?I can get a cab new for about $300-Also could you give me a specfic Brand name and maybe model that would have the JBL speaker you are talking about?THNX

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Okay I'll jump in. I agree 2X12's would be a better stand alone than the single 15. 1-15's will be lighter which a happy thing.

I agree with the 1-15 have a nice low mid bump, but I think overall more can be done with 2-12's especially were SPL is concerned.

JBL 15" drivers such as the D, E, or K series can be found used in various cabinets of you troll the usual places for used bass gear.

But many manufacturers today use Eminence that used to use JBL back in the 60's and 70's.

I agree the 140 (D, K, E) model has a good over-all clarity to it, but I DISAGREE totally that its a better driver for bass guitar. For my money, I'd take an Eminence product for the money any day over a very expensive JBL. The low end will be better on several Delta models over a stock K-140. The K-145 is a different animal altogether however, and with a proper enclosure your in bass heaven. JBL's are smooth and refined sounding, great quality.

If you can find a used JBL Caberet series bass cab, you might like it. But I recall they are made from MDF, not plywood, and heavy sonsa-beetches. Have fun.

10. 2x12