Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 or 2 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SIRPHYSCO1, May 12, 2004.

1. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    i have a SWR bass 350 amp and i am looking for a cabinet. Should i get a 212 or 2 1x12's ? and if i can only get 1 1x12 at first will that be okay and how much volume will it give me?

thanks-

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Kind of depends on the 112's that we're talking about. First off, I'd probably go with the 2x112 option because of portability. That way, you have the option of only lugging one back inside for personal practice or to situations where you're only going to need a bass monitor. As far as how loud it'll go, it depends but, if you're playing with an agressive drummer and a loud guitarist, you'll probably be pushing a single 112 a bit too hard. I'd bring two in that situation.

3. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    I'm stuck in a similar situation. I have a BX3000T head (300w) and bought an Avatar SB112 (8ohms) to start with. I originally had planned to get a B212 (4ohms) but portability was a big issue so I decided to go for 2 SB112's instead. I rehearsed the other day for the first time and although it was louder (I could hear myself :hyper: ) and clearer than my little 65w combo I still managed to clip my amp on a few occasions. What I'm not sure now is if I should get another SB112 or go for a 2x10. Not to hijack your thread by I think this could also be another option for you too. Will I be losing a lot of bottom end by going with a 1x12 and 2x10 instead of 2 1x12's? Will I be louder by going with the 1x12 and 2x10's? Thanks.

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    SIRPHYSCO: Being an Avatar user myself, I'd have to say that you have a couple ways to go on this in which really only YOU can ultimately answer...

choice 1) Bite the bullet and spend a bit more initially purchase the 2x12s straight out @ 4 ohms. You will hear your amp in it's maxxed out glory and use your money that you spent to it's fullest. No waiting around for more, or anything like that. The downside: Not as portable as two 1x12s, but ehh, unless you were gigging on a 3 nights per week basis, portable shmortable.

choice 2) The "short on cash" choice: Purchase a 1x12 in 8ohms. Not sure how loud you want, but I'd say it'd be loud enough, more likely with room to spare. You won't use all of your 300something watts but you'll have something soon and can always add the other 1x12 8ohm cab when you can afford it, or if you even still think you need it.

That's my analysis.

-T

5. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Thanks i think ill bite the bullet and go for the 4ohm 212 i dont gig often (new band) and we have stong guys. thx for helping me out.

peace-

6. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    1x12s are portable, but a 2x12 is mobile. You can set your rack on top of it and roll it out the door to the car. With 112 cabs, you'll find yourself making multiple trips. One trip for the cabs (maybe one trip each) and another for your rack.

But, 112s will fit in your trunk, where a 2x12 is a tight fit into the back seat.

As soon as I bought a GS 112 I knew I should have gone the 212 route. You just need to evaluate your load in and out strategy. If you have long distances between the car and the house or the gig, I'd rather roll around a big cabinet. Short distances, the ability to stow them in the trunk is nice.

7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very, very true monkfill. Great advice. Although I myself have regularly long distances to the stage from load-in spots at the venue, I think if I get a portable enough stack, the dolly would take care of the mobility.

The horrible thing about the 4x10 I currently lug around is yeah, it rolls, but especially with the amp-case on top, and of course friends who aren't always careful or know what's in the case, it's sometimes a dangerous roll to the stage. Also, when there are stairs, you gotta carry no matter what, so I would really rather carry 2 x 40something pound loads than one 89 pound load. Hernia-city!

But of course, everyone's situations are different. Good call on the portability or mobility assessment. Rock on. :bassist:

-T