1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x12 or 4x10 First?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IbanezATK, Mar 31, 2009.

1. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    OK my plans have changed a bit since we've started jamming.
    I'm a gui****ist as you guys called us, but I kinda got tossed into a band and told I was gonna play bass.

You guys helped me out with my power amp, I got the Carvin DCM1000 and I'm using the Bass Pod XT I had for my pre for the time being (and I've got some decent sounding presets going, I just don't have the stupid pedal to swap presets with!) Down the road I have a feeling that that will be replaced with a BBE Pre and some pedals when my wallet can handle it.

My plan is a 2x12 and a 4x10, but I can't afford both since I'm also buying parts for a "custom" Jazz Bass :hyper:

If it helps, we sound a bit like Muse, a lot of my tones are fuzzy and I cover a lot of the rythym guitar area as well as the bass area and a 15" isn't cutting it and is about to fall apart anyway.

Should I get the 2x12 or the 4x10 first?!

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Get a decent 410 and try that first. IME, 90% ofthe time that's all even uber-loud bassists need anyway. You might find that you don't need two cabs and then can save a few bucks for your forthcoming jazz.

A single 212 is all most bassists need also, but (in general) you'll get a little more air moving with a 410 than a 212.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I would recommend the 410 as well. Always best to have a little more than you need and with a 410 you will have enough for all but arena sized stages or outdoor gigs.

Also there are a not a lot of 212 options relative to 410s (which almost every company makes that's worth its salt)... so you will have more options.

Just make sure the cabinet can handle the wattage your front end is putting out.

4. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I may go that route, and I know a 4x10 is all I really need... but I will put the 2x12 under it eventually just for the pretty factor.

And yes I am STOKED about the Jazz!

5. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    go to a store, try one of each to hear the difference. Once you decide what you like buy it used.

ALWAYS buy used.

7. I would recommend the Avatar 2x12 first then a 2x10,I am really happy with that setup myself after having Eden and BagEnd 4x10
    Steve

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IMO, I say to go for a 212 or 410 first (Avatar is insane bang for your buck) and then add the other later if you think you need it. Or, you can get a 212 and then add a 210. (This is what I plan on doing; I just need the cash/need for the 212 :D )

9. 4x10 all the way! all you need... IMO.

But try the cabs first! It's your sound, so one can tell you different! you may find in the end 2, 2x15 cabs is more what your lookin for... never impulse buy! i did that with my Orange rig... sounds ace, but not what i'm after! i can't get rid of the bugger to get this V8 or the Marshall i want now :-(

Try everything you can before you buy! But go for the 4x10 if your heart is set. try an Orange if possible, they rumble with the best through the cords, but have the high's you need so you'll stand out.

10. Good Advice.
    What kind of music and 4 or 5 string?

11. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I recommend a 410 also. It is probably the most versatile and probably the best sound/weigh ratio out of all the cabs. 410s give you alot of greats highs, but it will also give you some great lows.

12. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    If I were buying a cabinet today, I think it would be a 2x12.

I have a Peavey 410TX, which stacks up fairly nicely to the SWR Goliath 410. I like it, but sometimes it lacks a bit on the bottom end. Also, I occasionally have felt that the 10" speakers are crossed over too high, and it sound a bit uneven in the higher registers.

Last year, I played through an Accugroove Whappo Junior, and was blown away. I cannot afford an Accugroove though. This lead me to Talkbass. After some reading I found Dr Bass. I love the idea of the 2460D. This cabinet would probably get it done, but as you know the wait times are out there. If I could put a third down, a third on shipment, and the rest net 30 days I would buy one. Throw in a 115 LF too.

In the interim, I had the opportunity to play a Mesa Fathom 212 "Combo". That is a fantastic rig...if I could bring myself to part with my rack rig I could easily go to that along with a couple space rack for my tuner and a compressor. The 212 seemed smoother, went deeper, and was more pleasing to my ears. Your mileage may vary.

Mark

13. Me?

4 string. And, we are cross between a British band called James and Nirvana. Well, they are 2 the bands we all like the most.

it's a ball ache messing with my amp to get it sounding sweet to heavy n dirty, But i don't wanna twist the natural tone with sommet like a Sans Amp, Though i could change everything with the push of a button...

www.myspace.com/ourfold

We are just starting to re record our album. So we will be sounding a little different soon.

And glad you like the advice, I found out the hard way... Don't make the same mistake kids!

14. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I played through 2x15 in a previous band, and I think that's what the guy from Muse plays, but I really didn't care for them.

Locally, the only try before I buy would be Ampeg or Peavey :(

15. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Wow is the Orange 300+ dollars better than the Avatar 4x10?!

16. Thats a shame! Go out for the day, Travel to a few music shops! if you can?! well worth it!

The Orange cabs are the best sounding cabs i have ever heard, if at ear hight...
    They are very deep (front to back) If they aint at your ear hight, you cant hear the "actual" tone, Very strange, but if you can get passed that, Best cabs bar none! Whack a mic infront of it and watch your crowd cream them selfs when you play :)

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    2-12 for me. :)

IbanezATK, check your PM.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I prefer the two 2x10 route as a 4x10 cab.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If I could only have one or the other, it'd be a 212 all the way. But I'm not you, and 410's are much easier to find. Not sure I'd like the 212/410 combination.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    212. You won't need more. If you do, get a 210 to go with it.