2x12 or 4x10 for Standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbitsky, Jun 22, 2005.

1. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005

I need to get a bass cabinet ASAP, and I've been looking at the avatars. Question: if you're going for tight, clean type of tone, which cabinet would serve you better in a stand-alone situation, a 2x12 or a 4x10?

Bands with bass tone I like: Phish, Tower of Power, Steely Dan, John Mayer.

I've been looking at the Avatar cabinets, as I'm on a budget.

2. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I've always preferred 12's over 10's. In my experience, 4x10's don't sound as full and bassy as my 2x12.

I was going for the same tone you're looking for, and my Ashdown MAG300H and my Avatar 212 do an excellent job. I can cut through two loud guitars and drummer and still have a very clean, full tone.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    ... and a 212 doesn't have as much punch as the 410. I really think the 4x10 is the basic unit of modern bass sound. I've got a GS410 and GS212 that I just started using together, and if I had to use only one it'd probably be the 410 on sound, though the 212 is so much lighter I'd be tempted to use it instead. The 410 is "louder" BTW.

Its a toss up, go play a few and buy what feels best.
  4. Based on your band references I would go with a 212. I admit I haven't tried their 4x10 but I have no doubt the B212 will fit the bill nicely.
  5. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    That's what I'm leaning towards. I'm just concerned about the "depth" of the tone. There must be a reason they can't keep the 2x12 in stock.

Thanks everybody!
  6. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i think its more common in the 'old days' to have a 4x10 rather than a 2x12 so thats why more people use those. Seems that a 2x12 is more of a modern trend.

I would sasy go for the 2x12 like im going to, the 4x10 would be nice, but the 12's give you the lows that a 10 just cant do.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    2x12's. Tough to generalize (actually it's pretty easy!) but from my experience, the 2x12 will go deeper and have fewer off axis frequency response issues. If you're talking stage monitor, the 4x10 is a good bet though. Short throw and punchy right up close.

Personally, I own a 2x12 as a number of 1x15's and a 2x10. A pair of 1x15's and a 2x10 does it for me. It has to be the correct 15 through and I spell 'fifteen' as JBL ... I could be convinced to spell it 'EV' though.

One of my fav bassists, Johnny Mars from the Bill Kirtchen trio used a Mesa 1x15 and 2x10 combination last time I was fortunate enough to catch them. THese were the oldder road case style cabs loaded with EV's. He was using a pre/power setup and a P bass. His tone was killer through out the room.
  8. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    Talked to Dave at Avatar back and forth, and I decided on the B212 Delta. He mentioned there is a lighter B212 NEO coming out that is lighter. The deltas go a hair lower in frequency response and are $40 cheaper, so I think I'm sticking with the delta.

Thanks for everyone's input!
  9. I recommend the 2 x 12. My 2 x 12 consistantly outpreforms 4 x 10 in volume and tone in my experiences.
  10. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    say i bought a head and a 2x12 cab. If i wanted to upgrade would u suggest i add smaller speakers or larger ones? (basically does the 2x12 need help with highs or lows?)
  11. I have a standalone 8 ohm 2 x 12. If I were to add another cabinet, it would be a 2 x 12.
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well I have a B212 from Avatar at 8ohms. Whenever I add another 8ohm cab to it, I'd have to say it would be a 210. I find that the 212 is very strong on the lows, and not as much on higher stuff. I also leave my tweeter either very low or off because I don't like the hissyness of the crossover.