1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x12 or 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jjacks651, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jjacks651

Jjacks651

Feb 7, 2014
    Connecticut
    Going lightweight, paring down the amount of equipment I need to carry to gigs. Right now I've got the MarkBass Tube 800 and use a MarkBass NY115 most of the time, but for outdoors and large venues I add an SWR Gloiath Jr 210, both 8 ohms. I also have at home a lead anchor David Eden 410 cab that weighs in at 98 lbs (which I will eventually sell)...

I am torn between the MarkBass 410 and the 212 cabinets. Both can handle the Tube 800's power. Let's hear from all who have experience with either 212'a or 410's.

I love the punch of the 410 but it's 66 lbs compared to the 47 lbs of the 212. And please let's just talk configuration, I'm sold on the MarkBass tone and sound.

John

2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I haven't really done an apples to apples comparison (same brand, same series, just different speaker size) but I Used to use a 410 and have switched to 2 1x12s (with horns) and think that they sound better across the board than the 410, and produce roughly similar volume (2 12s are about 3/4 the surface area of 4 10s, but other factors are at play as well).

3. LeroyRT

LeroyRT

Aug 7, 2014
    GA
    I went from an Ampeg BXT-410 to the Markbass 2x12. I'll never go back. 212 with the horn has every combination of low/high I will ever need. Loud enough to be heard on big venues, fits in the backseat of my car.

EDIT: Also gives me the ability to carry the cab on my shoulder, cables/amp stand, etc in my backpack and my bass in my other hand. One trip to and from the stage.

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've been bouncing between 10's and 12's for many years. My last 410 was over 10 years ago. Since then I've had several 2x210 rigs but most of my gigging has been with 112 and 212 cabs. I like the punch of 10's but prefer the fullness of 12's.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have gone the 2x12" route from 4x10"s. There's not the need to have that massive 4x10" capability at most venues anymore. The 2x12" not only gives me all I require for sound and projection, it is easier to tote. I now have two very different 2x12" cabs (one is a reloaded Tuck N Roll Kustom the other a GK NEO 212 II) and they both are killer cabs.

6. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    2x12.
    Rock on.

7. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    12s4lyfe

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I am ashamed to admit I once doubted that 212 would be all that. Then I got a used 12/12/6/1 fEARful with tilt back wheels....wheee!

Best cabinet ever in every way—but I must add it sounds exactly like a pair of 15/6/1 cabs, but smaller, lighter, easier to move, and almost as loud.

IMHO, a 410 can be OK, but the off-axis midrange response is invariably weak, yielding much less color—and not in a good way.

9. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    Another vote for the 2x12.

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I’m doing the same pondering.

I built myself a 4x10 a few years back, using Eminence 2510 drivers. It sounds really good.

But the 2512 driver has almost the same displacement (Thiele/Small parameter Vd, or Sd times Xmax) as two 2510s, while weighing considerably less, and having slightly higher sensitivity to boot. The lower Fs also allows for a bit lower cab tuning.

It’s an intriguing comparison, to be sure.

(I’m not yet ready to admit that what I really want is a neo 18 with a 5inch mid...)

StyleOverShow and Jjacks651 like this.
  11. Jjacks651

Jjacks651

Feb 7, 2014
    Connecticut
    I had one of those back in the '70's and loved the look! Though the head couldn't keep up with my Bandmates Marshall stacks.
    Looks like the 212's are winners.

JJ

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My big rig consists of a Fender Bassman 2x12 powered by a GK1001rbII. Set vertically it's loud, punchy, and takes up a small footprint.

I have no history w/ 4x10's, so can't offer a comparison.
    IMG_1836.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  13. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    412 for sure. Like Bigtone23, I have an old Kustom amp and cab (red) reloaded with 4 Eminence 12's. Great built in overdrive. My other cabs have tweeters, this one doesn't seem to need it.

Attached Files:

egower666 likes this.
  14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I love the sound of Mesa Powerhouse cabs.... the 4x10 is like 100lb, the 2x12 is like 68. In this particular cab line they sound pretty comprable/similar but I enjoy the sound of the 4x10 just a little more (it's a little deeper and overall heavier sounding, 2x12 is Neo and has slightly different mids but not enough to fuss about).

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Beautiful 212 Fender cabinet. Is it running stock drivers?

2saddleslab likes this.
  16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Although I've owned a couple blonde & black tolex Fender 2x12's over the years, this one was made to spec back in 1996. It sports EV Pros and can get loud enough to leave bruises.

Thundar and Jim Carr like this.
  17. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    212 are interesting as they produce an interesting an typical bump in the mid. But 10s to me are nicer, deeper and fuller.

Arthur U. Poon and 4dog like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Some years ago my back told me to use two 2x10s with Neodymium Magnets. I obeyed.:D

pht2356, Arthur U. Poon, PWV and 3 others like this.
  19. peter nicholas

peter nicholas

Aug 1, 2019
    ma, usa
    i have 4 of the mark bass 122 richard bona ninja cabs (they're the 8ohm ones). they're small and light but they are a bit thin on the low end compared to my epifani UL2 4x10 or even a 2x12 with a larger cabinet such as my mesa powerhouse 2x12s.

20. I prefer 212s. I find them to have a tighter, punchier sound. They're still plenty loud.