1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2X12 or 4X10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HMZ, Aug 8, 2007.

1. 2X12

44 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. 4X10

118 vote(s)
    54.6%
  3. Other

54 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What do you think works better for an out door gig a 2X12 or 4X10.

2. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I actually use a 4x10 on top of a 2x12 for all gigs, indoor and outdoor. If you don't have PA support, you're a rocker, and have only one choice, I'd go with a 4x10. But make sure you have some decent wattage running on top of the cab, perhaps 500+.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    4x10 - more surface area = more volume, and when playing outdoors, that's ALWAYS a factor!

If possible, go with both!

4. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I'm using a LMII. I have the two 12's and was thinking maybe getting a 4X10.

5. the more tens the better. at least 8 of them!!!!

cheers,

rusty

6. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    The 4x10 can push more air and would be better outdoors than a 2x12, but I'm sure both would work fine.

7. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I'd rather have 4X12 than 4X10's. :)

8. 1 - 2x15" and 1- 8x10" for outdoor gigs with 1000 watts going to each. That should cover all the basses. (no pun intended).

9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    There are allot of different types of outdoor gigs. Three examples that come to mind are the mobile show vans, wooden platforms and playing on pavement.

Each has it's own issues. Either would work I currently use a 212 outside and have had good success.

10. All my gigs are outdoors. I feel like my 210 doesn't do the job well enough unless it's a duo gig. 410's have lots more flexibility and volume potential.

I use a 210 and a 212 and I wish I had a 410/212 set up.

11. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Over the years I've done a lot of outdoor gigs.

First it was 4X12's in my Acoustic/Vox rig, then 2X15's with my first Peavey rig, then 2X12/1X18 with my bi-amped GK 800RB, 4X10's with my Mesa 400+ (and also that same cab with the 800RB) and lately a Trace Elliot combo with 1x10 in a bandpass box! (that was un mic'd! Loud little amp!) And sometimes that combo with the 4X10 added.

A lot of smaller gigs was with no amp, and just through the PA.

Soundmen don't like you too loud on stage, especially if the gig is being recorded. You wont get any bass in the mix because they will shut you off from the mains, since you are mostly being heard from your stage amp.

So unless you doing a gig without a good PA system, you only need something to hear yourself on stage.

12. I think it really depends on the style of music you're playing.
    I use Epifani rigs...Running thru a UL 502:
    I take a 2x 12 cab out for the rock gigs, but also have used the 310 cab for outdoor gigs for both rock & funk. If you have a good soundman, you could ge by with a 2 x 10, even though I wouldn't recommend it. :hyper:

Of course that depands how loud your guitarist & drummer & keyboardist & voaclist are! :bassist:

13. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I voted for the 12's because I have it in my head that larger speakers "beam" their sound more directly out while smaller ones give wider dispersion for better stage coverage and monitoring one's own sound. I picked this up from various threads on here, but I can't seem to find them, so this is to be taken w/grains of salt to taste.

14. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX

+1...*&@#$^* soundguys...

15. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from somewhere else,

Dr.Bass Rx or BL 2460 will Surprise and Amaze you for outdoor volume without PA support. No brag,just fact.

Rezdog

16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I use a 2x10 and 1x12 on outdoor gigs and never had any problems.

17. It'd also depend on who you're playing with, and what style you're playing. 4x10s will be louder, cos they push more air. 12s give more of a bass end, because they have bigger individual speakers, but the 10s give more punch because they are quicker to react to the signal, having less air to move to create sound.

18. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    I picked "other",

"other" being = the P.A. :smug:
    any outdoor stuff I've done has been to the point where the monitors are giving me just as much as the SVT+810 backline that's usually provided so, I'd say stick with a 410, if you need a little more then get some in your wedge and let the F.O.H. guy be very happy and give him a dull roar as far as your volume is so he can push the snot outta the front end! :bassist:

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd rather have my Trace Elliot 4x10" behind me, it delivers in all situations! :)

20. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    I voted for the 10s for the plain reason that I'm always stressed about my cabs response and my experiences always made me go to the smaller speakers. they tend to dance around a lot less than the big ones!
    The Ideal rig for what I do (mostly rock or funk gigs) would be a 4x10 with a 2x12 (for some extra oomph)