2x12 recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 5, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well guys, I figured out the cost of my rig with a 6space rack with a korg tuner, furman power condtioner qsc rmx 1850 and sansamp rbi.

Only problem is, I'm having second thoughts on getting the avatars. I know they are great bang for the buck, but at the same time there is always going to be a cab better in quality or sound. I'm not dissing avatar or anything, but as my first rig I want it to be a nice all around good rig. Not saying avatar is crap and that they suck, I just think they're not my thing anymore.

I've been looking into 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, and I wanna know what you guys think would suit me the best (I play rock/metal cross between metallica and GNR). I really like aguliar's price and I wont be surprised if people suggest getting a schroeder. But if you could help me out I'd appreciate it.

2. I've got a similiar setup to what you're looking at, except its a BBE Bmax and QSC PLX. I recommend the Gallien-Krueger Neo 2 x 12's myself. They have yet to fail me.
  3. Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    maybe a Schroeder 1212/1210?
    the Eden XLT cabs may work nicely for you too.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    If you like a bottom heavy, semi scooped kind of sound, the Aguilar GS212s are great.
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Avatar B212 with the new crossover sounded as good or better than the Aguilar GS212.

You could probably get 2 B212 for the price of the GS212.

The Schroeder 1212 is Hella loud and has a great cut-through tone.

If you have the cash &/or find one used the Epifani T-212 or 212UL would probably work for you.

Another option is a Bag End S15X-D + S15-D stack; they sound as punchy as some 10" cabs and move a lot of air for their size.
  6. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    I have not tried the Gallien-Krueger Neo's, but the Genz-Benz NeoX212 will blow your doors off---and blow the doors off 212 cabs costing over twice as much. I have tried most every brand commonly mentioned on this board---have directly AB'ed my G-B's with three of them---and the G-B's were the clear winner.
  7. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, the reason I'm a little weary on getting the avatar's is I was reading through the new crossover thread for the avatar cabs, and read that even though the new crossover is better than the old one, some distortion can get through.

Maybe I'm a little nit pickey, idk.

I just don't like to hear hiss when I'm not playing.
    The schroeder suggestion is a good one expesnive tho.
    I will check out the eden XLT loads of combinations to choose from.

The bag end suggestion is also really good as I keep hearing they are monster cabs.

8. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have both, a epifani 212 (older side by side) and a aguilar 412. I like them a lot for rock/metal and I doubt you would be disapointed, both in tone and volume.

as a side note, I was diaponted in the aguilar 212. The ag 412 is more than 2 ag 212's. Look in the used market. I found great deals on both of mine.
  9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I think you might be a little nit-picky. I just bought an Avatar 212 Neo with the new crossover. I have it set at about half way up, and I hear no hiss when I'm not playing. I think it's just a beautiful sounding cab. Rich, warm, deep bottom end, and as much punch or pop as I care to add with my tone controls on my bass.
  10. Check out the Gallien-Krueger Neo212 and Neo412 cabs.

I have a GK Neo212 and Neo115. And those cabs are great sounding LOUD cabs.
  11. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have a pair of Aguilar GS212's and they are awesome. I have to admit I didn't try anything else out...but after plugging into one, I knew I had a keeper. I bought a second one a short time later because I got tired of lugging my Eden 410XLT around. The Aggie is about 30 lbs lighter. I would defintely recommend them.....
  12. I think the Avatar crossover issue has been overplayed. I never had a hissing issue and it by no means sounds terrible. I just think a lot of people here like to tinker (myself included :D )
  13. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Question about gk, would I still be able to hook a Gk neo 212 up to my power amp by using a speakon cable or would I have to use a 1/4 to 1/4.

Thanks for all the suggestions again guys!

14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'd be very surprised if the Avatar sounded as good. I fully admit I have no experience with an avatar 212, but I've played through an avatar 410, and wasn't real impressed. Don't get me wrong, it is a GREAT cab for the price, but comparing it to Aggies, Edens, Bergs, etc., it isn't in the same league, at least to my ears.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

If you wait until "something better comes along", you'll have zero gear and a REALLY bad case of G.A.S.

Avatars can hold their own with all but the tiffany cab makers..and even then it's tough to differentiate.

Personally, I enjoy having my lesser priced Avatars kick the snot out of another bassists' "premium" cabs (it doesn't happen ALL the time, but I like it when it does).....and having $$$ left over to fill an 8u rack....and no Funk Logic, either.
  16. It's been said before and it's true so I'll say it again. Genz Benz is the most overlooked amp/cab maker on the market. I don't know what it is, but somehow I think the name is a little unattractive to people.

I also had the pleasure of playing an SWR 12-pack (2x12) and it sounded very good. They market it as a cab for rock and that's what it is. It also has some cool tolex patterns. Looked pretty slick.
  17. The distortion comes when you're playing your bass with a lot of treble through the Avatar cab, or if you have the horn turned all the way up. If its hissy while you're not playing than your head or your bass is causing it.
    If Genz Benz had better online availability and they were sold at more places they probably wouldnt be as overlooked. I've been to almost every music store in North Jersey and I've never seen a Genz Benz anything, and its hard to find the cabs online.
  18. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Another for the Avatar B212. Great, loud, versital and clear. I don't use the crossover for the tweeter, though. I rewired it to take advantage of my GK head's crossover.

I have never tried a Genz-Benz with a 12" speaker, but THE BEST 410 I have ever played through was a Genz-Benz.

Good Luck
  19. If you use a standard 2 pin speakon cable instead of the 4 pin that comes with the cabinet, then you'll be safe.