Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 vs. 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jan 12, 2005.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i'm going to be playing in a band that's kind of acoustic/folk/reggae. along those influences at least. for live shows, there will be a singer/acoustic player, electric guitarist, drummer, and bass.

i'm still playing in rock and roll bands and i have my svt 8x10 that i'm not going to use for this. the head i'll be using is my rmx 1450/svp pro.

i'm thinking that i'm just going to buy a seperate cabinet for this. either a 2x12 or a 1x15. i want something that has a good amount of low end, but is still clear and "balanced".

i play an mia jazz bass with sd quarter pounders (that i'm going to change i think).

right now i'm leaning towards the 1x15 just for the low end. i'm looking at avatar because i'm on a tight budget.

anyone have any opinions/suggestions?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The B212 will give you a more balanced overall tone than a 1x15. I believe that the low end of the 2x12 might well exceed that of the 1x15...there's certainly more cone area and the box is tuned at about the same frequency.

You can call Dave at Avatar and ask his opinion...I suspect that he'll recommend the B212.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    awesome...thanks alot!

4. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    +1 on Billy's suggestion. I'd take my Avatar 2x12 any day over a 1x15. I'm still surprised at the low end of this cab everytime I plug into it. The B212 is a relatively lightweight cab that is quite gig worthy and will handle a decent amount of power. Sounds great with my SVP-CL/RMX1450 through it.

5. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I currently own the Behringer BX1200 combo amp, among many others, and I'm amazed at how well this little rascal performs. No, it does not produce earth shaking lows, but it comes close enough to be called seriously punchy.

With this thought in mind, and considering the fact that it uses a single metal cone 12" speaker, I think I will go with metal cones on my next enclosure. It does not sound sharp or brittle, as many have feared. It does sound tight. That little amp has a fair amount of volume for a single 12" speaker. No break-up whatsoever.

Now that I think of it, If you are going to be running through the house PA, the little Behringer BX1200, or a similar amp, is all you would need. The tilt back feature makes it an excellent stage monitor. This little amp has a bunch of connecting ports on the back for running into external systems.

I saw another manufacturer's amp with a 15" speaker and a little less power in basically the same enclosure size. It lacked all of the fancy input/output capability of the BX1200.

I haven't tried Avatar speakers yet, but I have been looking at Behringer's latest offerings. Both the 1x15 metal cone and the 2x10 metal cone enclosures are intriguing. The price is right too. I really am impressed with their power handling capability. Haven't plugged into one yet, but might order one this afternoon just to see how it sounds. A couple of places are selling either one for $199.99 and free shipping. That's tough to beat. I think I'll spring for the 2x10 enclosure first. If that is good, I'll snatch up a 1x15. I "think" both are rated for 600 watts RMS, IIRC.

Good luck in making your decision. Let us know what you do and what you think of the results.

6. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Yep, the B212 is the way to go with a single cab. The 115 cab is good, but can get muddy by itself.

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    BAM! Uncertainty and the God of Poor Explanations just got served. My guess is BillyB is experienced at this so-called "answering question." I tend to create more?

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i guess i'm going to get the 2x12. thanks for the help guys.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have an Epifani 2x12. Sold everything after i got it, its that good. Punchy, fat, warm. NICE!!!!!

Rob

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    My 2/12's go lower than the Mackie subs the bands I play in use :cool:

11. Holy crap...

12. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    how do the avatars compare to the dr. bass cabs?

13. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    anyone have opinions on how the avatar 2x12 compares the dr. bass 2x12?

also...does anyone have pictures of the dr. bass cabinets?

14. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i have a avatar 2x10 and i want to get another cab, i was thinking about the 15 but now i really want the 2x12. if i really like it i could see myself selling the 2x10.

My rig is plenty for now anyways, plus i need to get my pre and rack first.

I wish i would have gotten a dr bass instead of avatar, for the main reason of the covering. To my knowledge they are the same, correct me if im wrong, all pretty much expect the out side. The avatar has carpet and the DR bass has almost a truck bed liner. I dont really like how carpet turns when you practice in carpeted areas or in a garage with spills.

Mine cab is fine expect for the bits of carpet that stick to it.

15. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    If you're going for the traditional, big bottom dub sound, a P-bass may serve you better. Although Marley's guy used J's (ummm, no pun intended) later on.

I think a lot of guys used Cerwin Vega folded horns for that kind of thing. If you want to stay small(er), maybe a 1x18 with a 2x10 on top would fit the bill. I guess that's not really what you asked....