Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 vs. 3x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Gone, Mar 31, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a new cabinet and I'm interested in either a 2x12 (Aguilar, Epifani, Bergantino) or a 3x10 (Epifani, Bergantino). Has anybody compared a 2x12 to a 3x10? What are the plus/minuses soundwise to each configuration?
    Thanks!

2. I A/B'd a Bergantino 2x12 against their 3x10 a few months back, and I liked the 2x12 better. It just sounded bigger and ballsier. I know that's not very technical.. :)
    I just got an Aguilar 2x12 and it sounds great.

3. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I A/B'd the Bergantino 2x12 and 3x10 a couple of months ago. This was the first time I could truly hear the difference between 10's and 12's. Just for reference, it was a Lull 4 string fretted or Musicman 4 string fretless running through some Yamaha preamp (set flat) into a Stewart 2.1 amp. #! difference was that the 10's were much more punchy and defined than the 12's. However, the 12's had a much more round sound and was very smooth, sort of had a vintage vibe to it but with the same frequency response as the 10's. I couldn't get the signature 90's slap sound from the 12's like I could from the 10's. In fact, I didn't even like the slap sound from the 12's. However, the fretless sounded best through the 12's. It gave the bass a growling quality, and mellowed it out to give it a Pino sort of sound. BTW, the 3x10 could get much louder than the 2x12 when pushed. But, the 2x12 could go produce a deeper sound than the 10's.

In short, they are not at all similar except in frequency response.

4. Did you think the Aguilar sounded better than the Berg? I am thinking of moving from my current two Eden D212XLT's to one of these newer 12" loaded cabs and was trying to decide between those two...w/o trying them of course! Any differences you could note?

5. Ya know, I never did A/B the Aguilar vs. the Bergantino.
    The Bergantinos I tried were here in Atlanta, and the Aguilar was at Bass Central. When I tried out the Aguilar, I A/B'd it vs. the cab I was using before, an Eden D-410XLT. They had Bergantinos at BC, but I didn't even bother because cost was a major factor and the Aguilar's price was right. But, I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't sound great.
    Two Eden 2x12s.. I'll bet that sounds awesome! I'm thinking about adding an Aguilar 2x10 to my 2x12.

6. They used to sound pretty good...I think I have just worn them out. They sound rather "floppy" now. From what i've read the Aguilar's are the ones for me. I don't mind a bit of "snarl" or whatever in my sound, I don't go for the "DI tone".
    I have used an Eden D210XLT w/ my D212XLT and that sounded good, especially if you have guitars to cut through. If not....nothing beats playing through four 12" speakers; so great. The Aggie's come in an 8 ohm config too which is nice.