2x12 vs. 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Feb 19, 2004.

Which one?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2004.
  1. 2x12

38 vote(s)
  2. 4x10

31 vote(s)
  1. Which one do you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each?
  2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    I have a 2x12 blonde Fender cab with EV pro's. I set the cab on it's end. Small footprint on stage, handles plenty of power, and 12's seem to give a nice combo of punch and low end. Never used 4 10's but many have said they are heavy, big, and some say they can lack some low end. Many love their 4 10's but 12's have worked for me the last 17 years.
    Good luck,
  3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I really wanted to love my 2X12 aguilar cab, really. But something was wrong - I couldn't figure it out. I had thirty days to decide, so I A/Bed it with my Eden 410XLT for 29 days. I like 4X10. The 2x12 was lighter, thicker sounding, and fit perfectly on the speaker cab stand I had. But I needed the extra snap the 4x10 brought - so I took it back and got a aggie 2x10. Now I can go 6x10 with my all tube SVT!!

But again, the 2x12 was more affordable, had great lows and response, and a lot of bassists prefer them.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like 12s better because they sound better with tube overdrive. I also find 10s to be too punchy.
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    OX: Thank you for changing it.

freshmeat1989: Didn't mean to go off topic on your thread. I prefer 12's responce of 10's with the low end of 15's IMO they are the best of both worlds. But I just bought an Eden D215 XLT, and will hopefully add the D212 XLT to it later. My vote is for 12's

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I haven't contributed? Are you sure about that? Let's see. I contributed my opinion of how I liked 12s over 10s in this thread, so you have seen me contribute, before you derailed this thread. :spit: In another thread, I contributed what I thought of the Mesa tone vs. the Ampeg tone. And you will find many other posts of mine that have contributed. Hell, I've contributed enough that Yorkville was impressed with me recommending Yorkville amps to people who needed power and good tone on a budget, they sent me a free hat and a free shirt! :bassist: And the people who've bought Yorkville amps from my recommendations? They love them! How about when people were almost lured into buying those cheap yet crappy X-Audio cabs??? I warned them that they'd fall apart on them and sound like crap (my friend owns one and regrets it).

ps. Yorkville rocks! :bassist:

EDIT: Wow, I just contributed again! :eek:
  7. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have an Avatar 212 that I love and am very happy with. I had a Genz Benz 410 that I loved and was very happy with.(Heavy, though)

I have tried many 410s that didn't cut it for me and a couple that were the bomb. (The Avatar is my first 212)

Different cabs will have different characteristics. I would say try before you buy, but I picked up my Avatar 212 and 210 sight unseen (or sound unheard) based on recommendations from TBers and I'm thrilled. So...........uh.....Good Luck.

(Sorry, no sig)
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Personally, I prefer the growl I've been able to coax out of 10s more than 12s...
  9. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas

The 4x10 is slightly more "snappy" and agressive. The 2x12 is slightly "rounder" and more mellow. But only slightly. These two cabs have a pretty similar sound overall.
  10. I always wanted to try an all tube head (Trace Elliot V6, V8, or a Hiwatt DR405) and two 412 cabs. But I would have to say that although I prefer the sound of a 410 that the 212 would probably be more portable (maybe get both like the Carvin rig shown above).
  11. 4x10" have never worked for me -a little thin and "cold" to my ears, lots of mids but no real bass (ampeg,sunn,peavey)
    still i´ve heard guys´n girls getting great sounds from their 4x10s but not me
    2x12"-varm and still edgy enough to cut through and as the OX said "they sound better with tube overdrive"
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My main cabs, are Bergantino 2/12 & 3/10's....both great sounding cabs, but if I'm only taking one cab, I take the 2/12.
  13. Nice. The one I was mainly thinking of was the Avatar 2x12. For now I'm just gonna get a Yorkville XM200T and add a 15 on later. After that when I need a real serious setup i'll probably go for a SWR WM's 4004 and a Avatar 2x12. Thanks a lot, yall are great helps
  14. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    A 4x10 or a 2x12 can be designed to sound like anything the manufacturer wants. With that in mind, I've heard 4x10 cabs that blew away 2x12s & 2x12 boxes that demolished 4x10s.

It’s difficult to come up with generalizations that are accurate. Most players’ responses are based on their reference point or what they have personally heard. From their experience what they are saying is correct, however that does not mean that ALL of a certain type of cab is better than ALL of another type, etc.

Bottom line; get some recommendations, try things out & don’t preconceive that one design is better than another…hear it for yourself.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm of mixed emotions about 10's vs 12's. I'm running an MM 2x12 wih the 6" mid/hi driver. Under some conditions that 6 " driver can emphasize some objectionable freqs. On the other hand that cab has great lows and mids. I dial out that which I don't want with EQ but I'm also not in favor of too much EQ. I'm remembering back to the days (25 years ago) when my main axe was a P with BaddAss and Rotosounds with one amp or another (I went through several heads at that time) driving an Ampeg 8x10. I seem to recall thunderous tone and sweet highs. Now I know the 8x10 isn't supposed to go very deep. The SVT head itself can certainly add some huge low end so the combination works.

The point of this is I'm wondering about sealed and tweeterless 2x10's or 4x10's now. I know that Bergie has the 6 x 10 - who else is doing that but in smaller boxes.

I have an extra rack space where a crossover might go ... so a 2x10 on top of the 2x12 ?
  16. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I have a MM 2x10 that I use with my MM 2x12. The 2x12 is a low end monster! They really complement eachother well IMO.
    I was at rehearsal the other night and the cable I was using with the 2x10 was giving me hassles so I used the 2x12 by itself. The difference was basically that without the 2x10 I had to crank the treble on my bass up full to get my highs back... that gives you a bit of an idea of what the MM 2x10 is like.. I did however like the 2x12 by itself. It is very articulate IMO, just had to dial in some highs, it didnt seem flat, but neither does the 2x10, it is opposite... which brings me to say, you probably wouldnt even need a crossover if you use the MM 2x10 with the MM 2x12.. they each just sort of naturally reproduce the frequencies they are tuned to (the 2x10 cranks out the highs and the 2x12 blasts the lows) now I dunno if that is actually what happens, but that is what it seems like to me.

Sorry for getting off topic. :)
  17. StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    I'm keen to see how this poll swings.
    The only 12's I've tried on Bass was a Marshall 4x12 with Marshall head (both bass specific) back around 1992, and I'm still getting that bad taste out of my mouth!!
    But a 2x12 cab that sounds nice, now I'm interested!
  18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That is intereating about the MM 2x10. I suspect you like a much brighter tone that I prefer though. The MM 2x12 does have some serious low end through.

Stu - A Marshall bass amp. I don't wonder that you didn't like that one ... Yikes! They do make a wonderful guitar amp though...
  19. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm pretty much an amp idiot: How do 2x12's compare to 4x10's volume-wise? :help: