1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x12 vs 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Breslin dp, Apr 10, 2009.

1. I play through a 4x10 rbh and a 1x15 mesa powerhouse. I am thinking about switching my 4x10 over for a 2x12, any thoughts?:ninja:

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Only A/B ing will tell you which is best for you, I don't think there will be a hell of a lot of difference but round these parts make sure you have the speakers vertically aligned with the 2 X 12 or you are in big trouble:D

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I love my 2x12 - but it's a Schroeder 1212 so there are some other differentiating factors besides just the driver size. I use only the 1212 for bar gigs, but I add a 1x15 for outdoor gigs, festivals and such.

Pure tone heaven IMHO!

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Try one and see what you think.

I have the 212 Powerhouse, and I preferred it to the 410 since I have to play a wide variety of styles. I got sick of carrying multiple cabs, and I felt the 212 was the best compromise from a 410/115 setup. It isn't perfect, but its very very good.

If I was in a dedicated rock band and needed the punch of 10s I would have picked the 410, no questions. Tom Bowlus here on TB loves the 212 with a 210.

5. I also would prefer 2x12" But that has lots to to with personal Taste. I use my 2x12 as a Standalone Cab. The 12" got the fast Response like 10" and the Low End like a 15" + they bring out lots of Low Mids who cut through the Mix in the Band. So for me 2x12 + Horn is the Way to go.
    But in my Main band i use them as Backup because we do all Gigs with In Ear. But in other Bands who have no In Ear, this Cab does a good Job....

- 2x12" + adjustable Horn
    - handles 600W @4 Ohm
    - Custom Lite --> 24 Kg

2lxzb03.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why switch? Is there something that your current set up isn't doing for you?

Paul

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Tru, dat. The PH212/PH210 combo is truly exceptional. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's the name on the cab? Bass Town?
    Haven't seen that one before. Where can you get one like that.

Thanks,
    Stumbo

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It it were me, I'd dump the 1x15 and run a 2x12 and a 4x10. I've gigged for 30+ years, and there are very few 15" speaker/cabinet combinations I like. I used an Eden D212XLT and a D410XLT with a WT-600 for a long time for loud outdoor shows. It was wonderful. The 12's gave a big fat bottom without being flabby or mushy, and they complimented the 4x10 very nicely.

jte

10. Yeah what cab is that ^^^??/

"Bass Town"

I googled n found nothing

11. Basstown --> and the man behind Basstown "Raffi Bauer" is a small German "One Man Company" who builds great and affordable Cabs.

No big and exepencive Merchandise Campains or something. Just Mouth to Mouth Merchandising.
    But Raffis getting ill in between so he stopped building Cabs for now.

There are two more such small Builders in Germany FMC and SAD

FMC-Audio

Sieben Audio Design

12. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Wow! Those cabs look great. What can you tell me about FMC cabs? I'm replacing my rig, and I'm thinking of the new Orange Terror Bass, so searching for a cab, those 2x12' and 15' + 8' cabs are interesting.

13. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    My 2 cents....I like my 2 DB112's a lot more than my SVT4x10.

14. Look here Bassic FMC Thread There are lots of satisfied Users. My Advice would be to contact Hans. He´s very kind and helpful. Takes sometimes 2-3 Days until you get a Reply, because he´s got lots to do. (what speeks for his good Cabs)
    Tell him about what you like about your new Cab, and he will help you to find and buildt your ideal Cab.

15. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    PH??

16. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    Thanks! I'll write him!

17. dannster

dannster