1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x12 vs. two 1x12 Cabs. Pro's and Con's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corevalay, Dec 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hey Guys. So, my main rig uses a GK NEO 2x12 cab. I recently bought a GK NEO 1x12 for smaller venues. I got to thinking that it would just be easier to sell the 2x12 and get another 1x12. This way I could piece the two 1x12's if I needed a 2x12, and I'd also have the flexibility of a 1x12 for the smaller venues.

So, my question is... Will I lose anything by using the two 1x12's versus the 2x12? Logic tells me it should essentially be the same exact cab, but I also feel like I will lose a little something not having the 2x12 cab since it's not a big enclosure, but two smaller ones.

Any thoughts, opinions, experience would be greatly appreciated!

rapidfirerob likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You've pretty much got it. A pair of 1x12's gives you modularity and flexibility. But they will also cost more than a single 2x12.

zon6c-f, Phyzzbin, noahw1 and 6 others like this.
  3. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Follow your heart!

4. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I use two 1x12's, but I'm buying a 2x12 soon and if I find that the portability is still pretty decent, I'm going to run two of them.

That said, I haven't felt the need for more volume yet, and I ran an 8x10 for many years.

5. Corevalay

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cost isn't really a factor. I'm fine with spending the $$$, just want to be sure I'm not giving "something" up by selling the 2x12.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sounds like you're looking for flexibility! ;)

zon6c-f likes this.
  7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    As mmbongo said above, the two 112s give you more flexibility but typically will cost more than the single 212. Depending on the cabs design, two 112s may or may not sound the same as a 212. I prefer the modularity so I use 2 112 cabs and find them to sound the same as the 212 version. Also when you stack the 2 112s, you get a nice vertical speaker orientation. You may or may not get that in a 212, again based on the cab design.

Phyzzbin, eff-clef and freedomryder like this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I don't think so, I'd choose a pair of 1x12's any day over a 2x12 for the reasons you laid out :)

Phyzzbin, Al Kraft and lomo like this.
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have a pair of 12's (GB STL-12) and am happy to be able to size the rig to the gig.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you'd be giving up a larger cab in favor of flexibility. what's the loss?

11. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I'd prefer a pair of 1x12's.

Some years ago I had to get rid of my 4x10 when I got a smaller car. I simply got a pair of 2x10's and didn't lose a single thing. My sound was just as good, I didn't have to either defy mortality or recruit help when loading up or down stairs, and I gained the option of using just one cab.

I'm even considering changing my cab lineup to a 2x10 and a 1x12, even though there are plenty of warnings about potential troubles when running different cabs together. First things first - need to track down a premium 2x10... my pair are a bit rinky-dink.

12. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    One big advantage of two 1x12's is you can turn the bottom one towards the drummer if needed.

rapidfirerob likes this.
  13. My thoughts exactly. If I am in a smaller venue that needs a single 12 I do not have the weight of a double 12 cab to deal with. In a medium size venue I can cover it with two cabs. Any larger rooms I use both cabs as a stage bass monitor and go into the system.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Personal pref; but I would rather haul a single 212 than a pair of 112’s. Also, having both a 212 and a 112 is possibly the most flexible and practical modular cab approach, giving you options from 112 up to 312 with an appropriate head that can run at 2.67 ohms.

I’ve been gigging with a 112 and 2 x 212’s, combining them as needed for five years now, and don’t plan on changing any time soon.

Of course, YMMV.

RedVee, Inara, ExaltBass and 3 others like this.
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Cost would be the main thing. I'd love own own a second 1x12 and would prefer a 2 1x12 Mesa PH rig to the regular 2x12 (which I have owned, and like, especially for its weight).

16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I'm not 100% how significant the impact is, but a 212 will likely be a single, large volume chamber in the cab, while a pair of 112 cabs will have partitions, isolating each driver. I'm sure each builder takes different factors into consideration when tuning cab performance, though I'm not sure the goal is always to make sure a 212 performs exactly like 2 112 cabs, but I'd bet they want performance and voicing to be in the same ballpark. Still, I'd expect some variance.

If your gigs call for modular cab solutions, then you might find it an easier carry. However, sometimes the 212 is only moderately bigger and heavier than the 112, yet slightly smaller and lighter than a pair of 112 cabs.
    GK Neo 112 = 24" X 16" X 15" (WxHxD) and 30 lbs
    GK Neo 212 = 24" X 24" X 16" (WxHxD) and 51 lbs

So the 212 is an extra 8" high and 21 lbs (the extra 1" depth seems pretty negligible). A pair of 112 would be taller than that by another 8" and heavier by another 9 lbs.

I'd probably go with the 212, unless I was playing 112 gigs 60-70% of the time.

TonyP-, Corevalay and Plectrum72 like this.
  17. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Pretty sure the 2x12 is 8 ohm, put the 1x12 on top for a 4 ohm 3x12.

As I recall, somewhere in the GK megathread, that @rag approved of this setup. I think @Chef has run this way too.

Ant Illington and BadExample like this.
  18. Corevalay

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    [QUOTE="johnpbass, post: Depending on the cabs design, two 112s may or may not sound the same as a 212. [/QUOTE]

This is my main concern. I don't want to lose anything by letting go of the 2x12

19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Usually, two 112s and a 212 will not sound identical. But what you get may differ from cab to cab.
    If the $$$ are not an issue, you could order one from somewhere with a decent return policy and check out the 212 against the 2 112s and either stick with your current setup and return it or keep it and sell the 212.

rapidfirerob likes this.
  20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have, yessir

Al Kraft likes this.