Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12 vs. two 1x12's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Gone, Apr 4, 2002.

1. I've been doing some research to see if there were any differences between a 2x12 cabinet and 2 1x12 cabinets (besides the portability advantage). Apparently there are some sonic differences (how subtle that difference is debatable). I emailed Bergantino and Epifani and here's what they had to say:

Jim Bergantino - "Yes! They are two completely different speakers. In fact they don't even share the same woofer. The 112 is designed to be more punchy and focused with a very defined and detailed midrange. It also has a somewhat limited low end response. You can hear every note on the B string distinctly, but you won't "feel" it like you would on the 212, which has a warmer more extended sound. The 112 is a great cabinet, and two will sound amazing. It would definitly work for rock, but you may feel a bit limited in the low end if you play a lot of blues since it doesn't have the warmth of the 212. If you have the opportunity to check it out you may be pleasantly surprised! I hope this helps."

Epifani - "We have two 212 cabinets: the T-212 and the T-212D. The T-212 is the one on our website and the T-212D is a 212 configuration inside a box the size of our T-410. The larger size extends the low end.
    The T-212D is much deeper sounding than the T-212 and two T-112's. Two T-112's have a similar sound to the T-212 though. Two T-112's give you alittle more high end because there are two tweeters. Otherwise the T-212 and two T-112's are almost the same."

What does everyone think? Is this pretty much right on or do you have different opinions?
    Thanks!

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    That is probably true. You would probably get a deeper response from a 2x12 than from two 1x12s, but for me portability was the key. I went with two Aguilar 1x12s and I am very impressed....they have a fairly deep sound, 2 tweeters (1 in each), are portable, and fairly punchy.

-KB

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think the responses you got from both companies, are pretty right on! I have a Bergantino 2/12 and 3/10 and the cabs are the same size.....but the low end on the 2/12 is massive and tight! If you go to the Bergantino web site you can see there is a frequency difference between the 1/12 & 2/12 plus I think the the 2/12 is more efficient.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Remember also, that with two 1x12 boxes, you'd also have two tweeters to deal with.

so, would you want that extra flexibility for the high end or no? also, a 2x12 seems like it'd be better tuned for the low end, than two separate 1x12 boxes. but since i aint the biggest guy on the block, i'd opt for the portability of two 1x12's. i actually own a berg 1x12 and love it to death.