Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 12, 2001.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There was a lot of threads about these a while ago.
    I´m thinking of going for a 2x12.
    Have anyone tried the Glockenklang double. There was a "test" of it in bassplayer (issue with geddy lee on front). It cost about $850 here in europe. Any comments?

My secound choice is the bag end D-12D. Good?

Third choice is Eden 212xlt. Good?

I haven´t played any of these ´cause the dealers in sweden don´t carry these. I like oldschool sounds, play a 74´P-bass through an Ashdown head. Help!

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I was one of the reasons for those 212 threads :D
    212 cabs seem to be a very rare species, at least here in Austria where we don't have that many music stores as in L.A. ....
    I'm still looking for one (and still haven't seen one except for the SWR Silverado combo) and I also favor the Glockenklang Double, wich isn't that expensive here near Germany. BTW the Double got a very good review on the German magazine 'Gitarre&Bass', wich is also true for the Epifani T-212 (and wich is Nr.2 on my list, ex aequo with the Eden D-212XLT).
    Bag End is said to be top quality too, but I don't think that I will ever see one...

I know there are some Eden and Epifani 212 owners among us, maybe they can tell you more.

3. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    In bass player magazine, the eden 212xlt got perfect reviews. They obviously loved it and said it completely bridged the gap between 10's and 15's. I forget which issue it is but search on the bass player .com website to see which issue it is.
    cameron

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for your answers.
    Yes Matthias I remember your posts. Actually I was hoping that you had tried the Glockenklang double. What did they say about it in 'Gitarre&Bass'.

About the Eden. I heard of a guy here on the forum that had blown his speaker in the 212xlt twice and was going to sell it. He had no problems with his 210xlt and 410xlt and he didn´t play loud. Strange. Could it be he got a bad one?
    He loved the sound.

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I recently traded my Eden 2-12 AFTER I HAD BOTH SPEAKERS RECONED! I was bummed to find that I blew both speakers...I haven't blown ANY Eden 10" speakers and have used/abused them for years. The 12's fit in between the 10's and the 15's in sound. They DO NOT, however, get as much BASS as a 10 or a 15, which is how I blew them, by pumping too much bass eq into them. Actually, had the cabnet been able to handle what I threw at it, I would still be using it as a stand alone cab. The midrange is SWEET! But that's the deal, it naturally likes the midrange, but to get the lows and highs you have to eq them in, and push the volume...and then oops...you've blown it! Also, the cab was not as loud as the 410XLT that I replaced it with. (But then again, it was 25 lbs lighter too...which my back was quick to point out).

The Eden is rated at 400 watts. Hopefully, the other brands mentioned handle more power and are able to handle being pushed hard. I had hoped I had stumbled onto something with the 2-12, and hated to trade it. I went back to a 410, which lacks the lower mids that the 2-12 had, but has more solid lows and highs. My goal was to only haul one cab around. The Eden 2-12 really can't handle that. I was playing moderate volume alt-country (in case you were having visions of the poor 2-12 trying to compete with Marshall double-stacks).

I would love to hear that there was a 2-12 that would function as a stand alone cab and could handle power. You never know till you try, but that may cost you a bit if it doesn't work out.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Epifani 2x12 got good reviews in Bassplayer, and from what I've heard on this forum it's great as a stand alone cab. It's rated at 600 watts RMS, so it should be able to handle a whole lotta power.

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well, it's hard for me to translate those reviews with all those funny expressions which are used to describe a cab (have you read our discussion on 'what does beefy mean'?) ;)
    But I try to give you the idea of the reviews:

Double:
    speakers are custom-made by Volt and look very sturdy.
    the cab has a well-balanced sound with solid low end down to 36Hz which is all the more astounding considering it’s compact size.
    Even the 'wildest slap-attacks' are reproduced with lively dynamics and without distortion. The Double provides clean, natural and subtle high quality sound at high 'Glockenklang-level'.
    As well-balanced it is, the Double still clearly differs from the other Glockenklang cabs and delivers the typical 12"-speaker sound, which is appreciated by both rock-bassists and fretless-players: low-mid growl which cuts through without boominess.
    This cabs makes use of the advantages of 12" speakers without showing the limitations this speaker-size is usually known for.

Epifani T-212:
    This cab is not only convincing, one can even get enthusiastic about it.
    Clean and well-balanced sound reproduction at incredibly high sound pressure levels – one Epifani cab does the same job you would usually need a 'combination of cabs' for (I guess he refers to a 115 + 210 setup).
    The T-212 is a well-balanced and very powerful allround cab with strong mids, but without overemphasizing them

Heaving read these reviews I asked the author (Dirk Groll) how he would compare the two cabs, he answered:
    The Epifani seems to be louder and more aggressive, the Glockenklang is more neutral and well-balanced.
    Who is looking for cultivated high-end sound (i.e. for jazz or pop) will be better off with the Double while the Epifani will better 'raise alarm in the band' - but without being a 'rowdy', it will thus be better for loud (rock) bands. 'However, these differences are just nuances at a high quality level.'

Hope that helps,
    Matthias

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot Matthias.
    Will a 2x12 be as loud as a 4x10?
    Do anyone know where I can buy these in Europe?

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    One can not generalize this, so I'd like to put it this way: a certain 212 can be louder than a certain 410, depending on efficiency and also frequency response.
    A cab with emphasized mid reproduction will sound louder than one with attenuated mids.

I bet the Epifani T-212 will be louder than maybe the Hartke Transporter 410 or the SWR Workingman's 410.
    On the other hand I guess the SWR Goliath will easily be louder than the Glockenklang Double...

If you don't mind buying equipment sight unseen, you can mail order it e.g. at Musik Produktiv in Germany (or Austria):
    http://www.musik-produktiv.de/

Matthias

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Allrighty, my experience with my Epifani 2x12 has been nothing but good, great even. It seems to take everything thats thrown at it, and give it back without straining. This cab is NOT bass shy, quite the contrary, it easily blew away the Eden 4x10xlt that I a/b'd it with. Agressive, but with a smoothness and natural feel I haven't heard in another cab. Liked it so much I got a 1x12 for the smaller stuff, or to add to the 2x12 if I want to do demolition work.

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think the Epifani would be great for me (probably for everybody). Where can I buy one at a good price?
    It´s a bit out of my pricerange but I´m tired of changing gear all the time.
    Is there anyone in Europe who sell these?
    I´m also considering importing from USA myself (need advise on that). I just got to have it.
    At the moment I have an Ashdown ABM300 head. Will it be able to drive it? I will get more power in the future...

12. markedwardchurch

markedwardchurch

Aug 31, 2000
    I have just acquired a 12" speaker from an old cinema and would like to use it for my Rick. Anyone out there made their own bin? Suggestions on Amp choice?