Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedGrange, Jan 5, 2002.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Who's got them? How do you like them?

2. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I've got an Epifani 212. Fat sound with lots of punch, fatness, and "throw" out front. A little awkward and heavy to move though. If I'd have had the cash at the time I bought it, I would have have bought two 112 Epifanis (I don't use the horn in the 212 anyway). There are several two 12" cabs out there. Comparison shop as much as you can in your area.

3. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Psobecke, I just noticed you're in Virginia. I bought mine from an Epifani rep/dealer in Reston/Vienna. Let me know if you're interested in contacting him. I'm sure he would let you hear any of their product line.

4. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
  5. Aguilar just put out a 2x12. Definately check it out. Excellent product.

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I own a Eden 212xlt, great box,it has served me well for five years. At the time when I got it I was playin in a original soul funk band and the eden gave me the old school vibe( powered by a wt-500). Im lookin to buy a new speakers probally gonna get the bergantino 112's 2 of them and either the 310 or the 212. I think the 212 cab Is along the same line as my eden just better.Better dispersion better horn, great cab! It has that old school big bottom thing .I just cant deside if Im gonna do that again. Great cab though!

AJ

7. SWR used to make a 2x12 called Bigfoot. These are good, and should be a pretty good price now.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    and the SWR silverado special is the only combo i can think of with 2 12's

jason

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a Glockenklang 212 and like it very much - it is about as loud as my previous Ampeg 215 and has slightly more and better defined low end, sounds very natural and I can get a good sound out of it with hardly any use of EQ. And it's only 64lbs/29kg...
    But Glockenklang products are very expensive in the US and probably not worth the money - here in Austria they are excellent price/value though. But don't worry, in the US you have excellent 212's by Epifani, Aguilar and Bergantino (which are ridiculously expensive here in Europe...)

Bottom line: A good 212 is definitely worth a try!!

Matthias

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Hey, there is a city called Vienna in the states too?

11. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
  12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Seems like some Austrians emigrated to the US too...

Well of cause I know that this is the case - e.g. it's interesting that in Chicago there live more people from our province Burgenland than in Burgenland itself.

Now if that isn't off topic. Sorry :rolleyes:
    Matthias

13. I've played through my Eden D212XLT's for over 5 years now and I totally dig them. Big, warm vintage vibe; very B-string freindly. Great for fingerstyle and the fat dub I play now. Huge, wide bottom...two stacked atop each other are very lovely.....

14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    just for all you guys with 212's... (sorry if im raping this thread) but how does your volume compare to a good 410 cab?

15. Bag End make a 2/12 cabinet . The D12-D ,4 Ohms,
    400 watts continuous, 800 watt peak. Has anyone used this model ??

16. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I originally played 10 Exclusively, but as I ventured out into 5 string basses, the notes on the B string IMO demanded and deserved 12's. That's not to say that 10's couldn't handle it, but I also had the huge Peavey 412 a while back. I only got rid of it because I couldn't deal with the weight and the portability issue. OTherwise, I loved it. Epifani's 212 is the best for my style and offers the portability. COmpared to a 410, the 10's had more PUNCH, but the 12's offer the same punch with more fullness when you need it. In addition, the Epi 212's power handling capability and efficiency give me all the volume I need from the QSC 3002 that drives it on each channel (I have two Epi 212's) I still have a Bag End 410 that I havne' been able to sell yet, and the sound of the two isn't even close. 12's IMO are best for me. I prefer them.

17. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    ConeyIslandJoe, I had a Bag D12-D for several months. I took it in a trade as a favor to my bass instructor. It just didn't know my socks off, so to speak, at first. The more that I played through it the more I found that I really like it. I ended up trading back to my instructor because he missed the really exceptional finger-style tone that that cab excels at. Once I sell my 4x10 cab I'm buying a D12-D. I'll still keep my Aguilar GS410 but the D12-D will probably find it's way out on gigs more often. I also really like the way that it's built. Long and kinda tall with the handles fairly high on the cab. Also, Bag End, as a company is very first rate. I had a small problem with one of my cabs ( I have two other Bag End cabs) and Bag End took care of everything. Far beyond my expectation. I think that they are the only speaker company with a 6 year warrenty and they stand behind it. Aguilar has a 4 year warrenty and Eden is 2 years. I don't know what SWR, Bergantino, Epifani or Ampeg offer. All in MHO ;)

18. Hey Cookie,

Where did you hear the new 2x12? I called Bass Central and Gard said it was not out yet.

I would love any feedback on this cab. I may trade my Epifani 2x10 to get it!! (My wife will love THAT!)

Anybody, have you seen the Aguilar 2x12? What's it like?

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    EBS will also put out a 2x12 cab this spring. I can´t wait to try that. Their 4x12 cab is the best cab I´ve ever heard.

20. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have been running a berg 2-12 and love it, its perfect for me.