1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x12s for funk -- why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnius, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    I currently play through a B-15R, which is just a single 15" speaker. I am looking to change my set up eventually to include a mid-range and a tweeter. I also love the funk sound and I see that the Accugroove Bill Dickens model is a 2x12 and Dr. Bass has a model that they recommend for funk playing that is a 2x12 plus mid and tweet.

I had always thought that you needed a 15" to reproduce the full boominess. I admit that I don't have as much knowledge or experience as a lot of guys on this board, but the question is why is the 2x12 recommended for funk?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because a 12" is a best of both worlds driver with a lot of the snappy treble of the 10" and a lot of the bottom of a 15". It's definitely a marketing thing to call it ideal for funk, but there is a grain of truth to it.

3. There is no correlation between speaker cone size and 'type of music' or 'tone'. It's all about the box tuning.

Some 212's are very bassy and boomy, others are tight and crisp. Some 410's are very tight and mid punchy, and others are simply HUGE down low.

It's best to figure out what tone you want (funk... is that Rocco Prestia tight midrange or Marcus Miller big, deep and sizzly), and then get some suggestions and hopefully try some rigs.

I am growing to love the 212 or 2 x 112 format, primarily for the 'volume and bottom per weight and size' ratio.

4. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    Jimmy and KJung, thanks for helping me out. I just don't have a bunch of knowledge about speakers and local shops only carry a couple of brands / varieties. I appreciate your input.

5. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY
    I too have 2/12 and a 1/12 and love them, they are GK neo's.
    They are working for me

6. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    my 2 Aggy DB112's have great punch and would be great for funk, but they're great for a lot of things!

+1 on JimmyM's comment.