2x15 and 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the wizard, Nov 17, 2000.

1. the wizard

the wizard

Oct 10, 2000
    I have an SVT-II and a 8x10 Ampeg cab. I saw an ad for a cheap used Peavey 2x15 and I figured that it would be a cool adition to my setup (after the Peavey logo had been ripped off of course). More speakers = more sound?

My question is: will the 2x15 be buried under the blast from the more 8x10? The 8x10 has a bigger speaker area and faster response, so I guess it´s louder.

2. prom-1

Nov 8, 2000
    I don't have any personal experience with this, but I have read about the bassist for the band Hum using an Ampeg 8x10 with 2 Mesa Boogie 2x15 cabinets, so I would guess that you may not be able to hear the 2x15 cab without seperate adjustable power amps to balance the 2 cabinets out.

I also have jammed with a guy using a Ampeg 4x10 with an Ampeg 1x15 and could not hear the 15" cab at all. So, I guess the same would be true if everything were doubled like what you're talking about.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    not being able to hear the 1x15 might have had something to do with the throw of 15 inch speakers. You can't fully hear the sound coming from a 15 until you are further away from it than if you were trying to hear a 10 inch speaker.
  4. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    I agree with Phat. I have a 15 inch cabinet below a 4x10. There was a time when I could not understand why people were saying that my lows were overpowering. I was standing less than 5 feet away from my cabinets and to my ears I was not that loud. Then I got somebody else to play my bass while I listened at about 30 feet away. I then understood. It has something to do with the low frequency waves. It only really hits you further away. So you may sound thin on stage but you are really quite full where the audience is.