1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x15 big cab fans check this out...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magman, Sep 8, 2008.

1. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/827931010.html

Well its not THAT special I know....but a little unusual it being a yamaha .. not well known for bass cabs.

I know the techies are about to tell me the horn tubes are too short for real deep low end ;) --- but that thing still looks like a real room filler. Presumably 1970s?

Love to find a shell of something like this dirt cheap and load it up with some monster drivers.

I was thinking these looked rather nice - v loud and smooth response with integrated tweeter (like tannoys)
    http://www.hempacoustics.com/CO15V_-_Hemp_Spec_Sheet_ready.pdf

..but then found out they are 1200 bucks each or something! :eek:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $400, huh? Maybe not at that price. I was never knocked out by Yamaha bass amps. Amps are probably the only thing Yamaha could never build well. And there are better designs for a 215 than that that don't take up nearly as much room. I started playing in the 70's, and those types of cabs were all over the place, and there's a reason they're not around anymore. Minimum efficiency, maximum weight and floorspace. I like the other way around, personally.

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    HEY! Check my "previous gear list," I bought the Yamaha B100 amp/2x15 speaker rig new, and it's what I used 1979-1992 -- in a word, a GREAT sounding rig!! Only 100 watts and WAY loud and clear - and the SS head seemed to think it had a tube in there somewhere! The cab had plenty of low end but still had more snappy, clear highs that most other 2x15 cabs of the era -- also there's a "bright" rotory knob on the amp that was very useful in measured doses.
    I loved it, and was always complimented on how it sounded. But like most 70s gear, HEAVY as a SOB and way over built -- the guts of the head could have fit into a case 1/2 the size, but you can't deny the cool aesthetics of matching cab/head.
    The cabinet was rated on the back as "impeadence nominal" whatever that means!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :D

yamahab100rig.

yamahab100cab.

I always thought the cab was Yamaha's take on this Sunn 2x15:

sunn215cab.

4. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Minimum efficiency?
    I'd imagine high efficiency at the expense of practicality would be a more accurate description.
    Loaded with the drivers it was designed around, you can bet that cab will move a whole bunch of air with a minimum amount of power.
    No fun to move though!

5. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    The cab is excellent. I used the B-100 for at least 10 years. The original speakers finally gave out, I replaced them with JBL's, got tired of moving it (heavy), sold it. If you are strong enough or have plenty of help, it would be a good cab for you. It sounds a lot like a Sunn 2x15.

6. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    I owned one of those a while back – a Yamaha J120L (215L) 2 x15 speaker cabinet from late 1969.
    It looks just like the Yamaha pictured in this posting.
    It might have been a guitar cabinet but it sure sounded great for bass.

It weighed 127 lbs.
    The cabinet was particle board and internally the small braces were pine and the larger braces were particle board.

IMO it sounded best turned on its side (it had feet on the bottom and on the right side)

It had good bass, excellent highs, and incredible throw.

The efficiency was approx 107 dB or higher, which was way more than anything else I had at the time.
    If I have to say anything negative about the sound – I would say the deep bass could have been better – but this could have been caused by any of these: a) I never used it in a medium or large room (only in a small room), b) the strong treble could have overshadowed the bass some, and c) I believe the drivers are actually guitar speakers.
    It had two Yamaha JA-38020 15” speakers which looked very heavy duty – they had a cast aluminum frame and weight 17 lbs each. Each speaker was 8 ohms, 120 watts, and had a 2 ½” voice coil.

7. Particle board isn't so great, but they obviously hold up though.

Some modern neo 15's would help cut down on weight.

Do vintage 15's generally have more treble than modern driver equivalents?

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i agree with edbass 100%. I have an old Sunn 2-15 cab of similar design (but made of plywood) and it is very efficient, and sounds awesome, however it is quite heavy and harder to move than most modern cabs.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I just joined the beastly 215 club with a Mesa Deisel cab. It's big enough to be fairly easy to handle, and the BEEF it emits is massive. Only paid 400 for it, so there's deals to be found. If you can find a Deisel 215, I think you'd be quite happy.