1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x15 Build Questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sabre79, Dec 22, 2017.

1. I want to make a 2x15 with Deltalite 2 2515's. The US Speaker website states the speaker creates, "CRISP LOUD MIDS W/ A TIGHT BASS SOUND." That's what I'm mostly looking for. On the Eminence website, I believe it states for a vented bass guitar cabinet, I should make the cab with 2.3 cubic feet of net volume (after bracing and speaker displacement) per speaker and 2 4" round vents, 5.4" in length per speaker. Will this get me what I want? Could somebody tell me what would be a good cab net volume and port dimensions? I want to make the cabinet 22" wide and at least 36" high so I would just need to play with the depth.

I also have questions about wiring and internal lining that will come later. Thanks.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    kbakerde likes this.
  3. Yes, that is a SWEET build thread. My DIY 2x15 ended up being 5.7 cubic feet and way too much to lug around all of the time, but for outdoor stages or big rooms this thing is awesome.

4. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    The 2515 works perfectly in cabinets close to the TL606, bot regarding cab volume and tuning (~90 l and 55 Hz). Maybe also in a little less.
    In a 215 You simply double the volume and add a 2nd identical reflex channel.
    Compared to other speakers, e.g, the 3015 Kappalite, it has relatively small voice coil which reduces its maximum thermal load. A 200 W Hiwatt is able to destroy it ;-( It needs to drive two of them.

there is an extensive discussion on this (the death of my deltalite) in music-electronics-forum.com

But the sound of the speaker is really nice.

The Shepherd likes this.
  5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
  6. Great thread.

dukeorock and beans-on-toast like this.
  7. Oh boy. I just read a thread here on TB about this. I might have to rethink the Deltalite. I'm going for light weight and price but I don't want a muddy boomy speaker.

8. I made cabs with Deltalites, KappaLites and Faital PR400. I was underwhelmed with the Deltalites. After building a lot of cabs, greenboy's specs are about right for off the shelf recommended drivers. JohnK's build is another good example too.

9. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    It is neither muddy nor boomy if tuned correctly. It will just be tuned correctly in something TL606-alike. To my ears it actually sounds better than the Kappalite 3015.

10. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    JohnKs build works with the Kappalite and the Faital as far as i remember. In his sound clips i liked the Faital better. I would expect the Deltalite sound somehow "in between" the two, and a bit more similar to the Faital than to the Kappalite.

So i would always use the 2515 again, but i would careful about the load it might see and i would consider it more a 200-250 W speaker than a 300 W one.

11. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    The Faital 15pr400 is a great choice for a full range 15 lightweight driver.

12. That is true.

13. Mine too. I have 2 115 and building a 215 with those drivers. There are a lot of fantastic cabs out there but, I really can dial in exactly what I need out of those drivers in a footprint and size for stage and hauling that works for me.

14. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Well, among the three the Deltalite is the cheapest among the three but good sounding, the Faital 15PR40 is the best, but most expensive but sometimes hard to find. And the Kappalite needs a midrange driver in order to be really cool.