Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15 Cab plans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jake_D, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Jake_D

Jake_D

May 10, 2000
    Does anyone know where i can get some plans for a 2x15 cabnet. I have 2 randall 15s and the cabnet is really ****ty!

Thanks!

2. I couldn't find a bunch, so I drew these for my killer 2x15 50 Watt Tube combo!!!! :eek: I didn't show the internal 1x1 internal screw-and-glue boards running down the seams to fasten the panels to, but they would have to be there. I basically copied an Ampeg B-25B 2x15 sealed cab. Righteous sound, easy on crappy speakers because it's sealed. No tuning of ports involved, not as loud though as a properly tuned ported enclosure. Also, it's within my skill-level, this ain't the new yankee workshop.

If you just want a cab, only build the 44 inch tall part. Old-school, baby, it rocks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jake_D

Jake_D

May 10, 2000
    Thanks man, thats just what i was looking for!

4. Jake_D

Jake_D

May 10, 2000
    What kind of wood do you use?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you guys don't mind me jumping in here, I have a question. Oh, mighty nice looking plans, throbbin. Smart to note your shock mounts.

Anyway, I read that an infinite baffle can handle more power than a ported design. Yet, it seems that big Mackies, Crowns, QSC's are used just as often with porteds as infinites are used with, say, Ampeg's monster SVT-4 Pro. Is one cab design really better for high power than another?

6. The sealed cab just keeps the drivers from slamming all over the place, I think. Since I use all sorts of free and cheap drivers with unknown parameters, I go sealed to protect them. If you start feeding a speaker a ton of power in a ported cab that is not designed right, it will kill something.

You remember slinky spring toys? If you hold one end of one, and let the other end droop, then start moving your hand up and down really fast, the spring absorbs most of the motion and the free end stays pretty still, but as you move your hand slower, you hit a frequency where you can really get the slinky "in-sync" with your motion at its natural frequency, and that slinky will REALLY move with little effort. That's like a totally open cab at free air resonance. Imagine if that was your speakerslamming back and forth. Now tie a weight to the free end, and no matter what the frequency, the weighted end doesn't move as much. As the weight goes from 0 to infinite, the resonant frequency changes, as does the Q or selectivity of the resonance. If the weight was infinite, that would be like a sealed cab, or infinite baffle. I think all that is correct.

It also affects the sound, for sure, but the old Ampeg stuff was sealed. I think it makes for a more bouncy sound, instead of the really-low lows. If you want to hit 40 Hz at gut rattling power, you're gonna need a properly designed ported cabinet, I think.

Now, what was your question?

Chris

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Excellent analogy, throbbin. Makes it very clear. Thanks!!!

(Now if I can just figure out why one of my amps came stock with a 4ohm and an 8ohm cab....).