2x15 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, May 23, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    right what are these like, will it give a really deep bass sound and if i ran a behringer ultrabass 300w head at 4ohms through it will i get all 300w considering the speakeer has a rating of 500w at 4ohms
  2. The answer to your second question is yes, a 4 ohm cab will utilise all of the 300w of the Behringer head.

The first question is impossible to answer without some details. What brand and model cab are we talking about? What kind of bass do you use?

You should fill out your profile so people can better understand your background, likes, and interests.

You should also be more descriptive when asking a question. If you describe what kind of sound you want to achieve, such as a modern slap tone or maybe old school blues, you will get much better and accurate responses.
  3. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    ok sorry the cab is a hartke 2x15 papercone speakers. i listen to thrash metal mainly but really anything from thin lizzy and sabbath to audioslave and chilis to the frames and any other rock bands you can think of. i only have one hate and thats pop. so do you think the cab would do with for that kind of sound, at the moment i am playing a crap (and when i say crap there is actuall nothing crapper in the world) hondo bass through an alright 15 watt trace elliot amp. i play with distortion and wah a fair bit aswell. but im changing that piece of crap of a bass for a fernande gravity 4x. the bass is so terrible that the neck is actually warping at the nut so ive a nice bow shape to it i triead adjusting the truss but its a little bit ****ed i.e. totally siezed up and cant move. the pickups keep seperating i.e. casing comes away from the rest and the magnet falls out. the action is over 1cm i think down at where the neck meets the body because anything below this causes naty fret buzz because of the warp. so you can see that anything is an improvement.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you are in the US and on a budget I would suggest www.avatarspeakers.com
    Their cabs are among the best value in the business. Id rather have a higher quality 1x15" than a lowend 2x15 like that Hartke papercone cab. Just my opinion. ;)
  5. Well I've used 2x15 cabs for many years, and they do great for the sound I like. I play classic rock (such as the aforementioned Thin Lizzy and Sabbath) and new country.

However, even though I still have three 2x15 cabs, I've downsized to a basic 1x15 combo because the 2x15's are just too darn heavy to carry around. At almost 100 lbs each, and the size of a small refrigerator, very few cars can carry a 2x15 (and still have room for other stuff). And who likes dragging a 100 lb refrigerator up and down stairs (yes there are places where you have to schlep your gear up and down stairs).

My opinion....upgrade the bass first. Then try a number of smaller cabs or combos out first, before commiting to the 2x15.
  6. Most commercial 15" drivers are stuffed into much too small cabinets. The 2x15 arrangement compounds this.

One notable exception is a pair of JBL E140, as they are optimally tuned in small cabinets.

Go with a pair of 1x15, each in a properly sized cabinet. You can mix/match as needed, and get more bottom and better sound from a correctly matched cabinet.