1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x15" DIY build w/ Eminence Legends

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phendyr_Loon, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
  2. um.....

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Looks cool man. I like the black and white contrast. Black metal grill would look nice.

Don't go cloth grill, with a cab like that you should show off the firepower :)

4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I made the grill standoff at 1" and the drivers protrude 5/8", so it's a challenge to design a traditional cloth/wood frame setup but 3/8" is sufficient for a metal piece.
    The cab is port tuned at 50hz and there's foam lining the inside, (I just didn't get a photo of that step).
    I haven't fired her up yet, but I predict the entire block will know when I do. :D

5. yeah they will :D

Nice looking build, I'm very fond of the CB158 driver, great sound, probably my favorite non-neo 15 in production.

Looks like a lightweight build, very good idea w/2 of those drivers. What's the box volume?

What amp will you be using?

6. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I haven't weighted it yet, but I can guarantee its lighter than my last 2x15 built with 3/4" mdf. However I'll need casters eventually, it has bit more weight to it than my pair of 1x12" neos.
    The box finished around the 5.5 cu. ft. target.
    As far as an amp, I'll be using my Eden WT 300 for now. 300 watts gets me by for practices, but I'll be looking for something in the 500 watt range capable of some real dirt, something the Eden just won't do. I've been researching Orange tb500, Ampeg pro 3, and Aguilar th500 as some options for heads.
    Also my neo setup has the combined power handling of 250 watts, so the boost in power handling was the main reason for this build.

7. Nice!

8. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Lookin' good!
    The CB158 is a good candidate for a 115 or 215, it has very flexible TSP's so it works well in a variety of cab sizes and tunings and the driver has a smooth response up to 2.5khz (only a slight breakup).

9. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    +1

10. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Very nice job, Phendyr. I hope my bit of technical help was up to the heir_Loon quality level of your woodwork.

11. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Insides look nicer than many cabs look outside. Excellent woodwork.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed - nice job, OP...

- georgestrings

13. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the comments.

Gave her a test run today, flat eq with the gain and master at 12 o'clock. It shook and rattled every one of the wife knick knacks in the house.
    Waaaay more output than my current 2- 1x12" neo setup at the same amp settings. No farting in sight with the 300 watts going to it. Not quite as punchy as 10's, but it has plenty of balls.

The metal grill is on order from reliable hardware. It's a honeycomb design which I'll be spraying white to match the cabs exterior finish.

14. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO

+2! And the outside looks great, too. Is that white Duratex?

15. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Looks awesome!! Can I get one?

16. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Workmanship looks mondo! When are you going to start taking orders? Ha-Ha-Ha! Bet that fridge does pound!

17. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Well, I'm a woodworker/kitchen cabinet finisher by trade so the finishing was done with a few coats of industrial grade Sherwin Williams conversion white primer and a few more coats of "no sheen" conversion clear varnish.
    This resulted in a very matte, durable finish which contrasted well with black hardware.

18. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Nice work, I like 215 cabs.

How did you settle on the Eminence Legend drivers?

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Uh.....your woodwork is topnotch, sir. Very, very nice, high quality stuff.

Fan of those Legends here, too. That will be/is one ass-kicking cab.

20. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Great looking cab , very nice bracing scheme !