Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15 on top of 4x12 or other way around? (and also bi-amping)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selta, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, I have a Peavey 4x12 (mid 80's, slightly heavey) and will be getting an Acoustic 2x15 (early 80's, late 70's) alls I wanna know is which one should I throw on top of which, and if I should bi-amp them with highs to the 12's and lows to the 15's, or just full range both? Thanks!
    Ray

2. Did you read the thread AT THE TOP of this forum?

I'll refrain.... *sigh*

Merls

Goodbye.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Try it out. See what you like. I had to try biamping my rig twice before I really believed that it didn't sound good that way. I put my 15 on top of my 2x10. Try both ways and see what you like best. Make sure it is a stable stack. Bass cabs vibrate!

4. Buddy,if you can throw a 2x15 on top of a 4x12 any idea u have is fine by me . Forget playing bass, u have a great future as a power lifter.:eek:

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Go full range on both, with the 4-12 on top.

Is there a single tweeter in this setup?

Peace
    Nick

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Nope, not a single tweeter in either cab :D. And comon, it's not just me lifting that thing! lol

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If there isnt a single tweeter, another possible setup is to bi-amp with the lows goin to the 2-15" and the highs to the 4-12.

I would recommend something like 100hz and lower to the 2-15 and everything higher to the 4-12.

Its hard to say since theyre both low end monsters!

If It werent for the fact that Im tired of carrying my 2-15 around Id envy you!

Peace
    Nick

8. Side by side. Or both on the ground

Simplest solution. Stick the 4x12 close to the drummer, and put that 2x15 as far back as possible! It'll take some distance for that sucker to develop, I'm guessing.

My 1x15 shakes things off shelves and removes the ceiling sprinkle things 2 rooms away, while the 4x10 setup shakes things off the walls in the same room.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Wow, so this is a good setup, or show I put a power-amp on top and throw some 10's in there (with a horn)? I think I'm gonna like it (don't have the 15's yet though). The 4x12 kicks ass all through C/C# on B, then they start to lose out, but still useable. I figure the 2x15's will help when I use Bb. I got the Acoustic head for $200 and will be getting the 2x15 Acoustic for another $200. Both are in damn near mint condition. Got the 4x12 about 3 months ago for $50 too :D my rig's cost: $450, not bad eh?

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Also, anyone have favorite settings that they like on their Acoustic gear? I've been fiddling with mine a bunch and found a lot I liked, and was just wondering if I missed any...

11. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    Holy Cheap Batman!!

how did you get a 4 12 for $50.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I'm just that good! Nah, it was a friend who needed $, so I told him I'd give him $50 for it and he said yeah...did I take advantage of him? Yeahh, maybe :D oh well. Love it though.....