2X15 SUNN cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BazzMonkey, Dec 18, 2000.

1. BazzMonkey

Aug 25, 2000
    Well I bought a 160watt bass sun cab with 2x15's and it doesn't suite my amount of noise that I need at all, cause it buzzes when I attempt to get over 160watts, so I'm replacing the speakers(the speakers sound excellent for guitar, just dont like them for my bass). Does anyone have any opinions which speakers I should replace the 2x15s with?

Currently I have 600watt 4ohm Carvin Bass Speakers for 99$(a piece), in mind and well I was wondering if I should go through with buying those carvins or not.

My friend said I should get some 2x15 David Edens but their double the price and not half as loud.

Any suggestions?

BY THE WAY, I'm also looking for a Mid priced bass head 400-700$ , (I'm going for the low end hard rock/punchy punk rock tone)
  2. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I would save my money and put it towards a new enclosure. The engineers who design equipment go to great care to match the drivers with the enclosure for the best sound.

Just my 2 cents worth.

3. BY THE WAY, I'm also looking for a Mid priced bass head 400-700$ , (I'm going for the low end hard rock/punchy punk rock tone)

You can get a GK head in that range. You should be able to get a 700RB for about $525 or a 1001RB for about $650.
  4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, as stated above, I'd save my money and get a new cab. Good speakers aren't cheap, but if I was going to replace them I'd get either Eden 15's or Eminience 15's. I've heard great things about Electro-Voice 15's, but I've been told that EV doesn't make their own speakers anymore. Also, since you're looking at getting more volume, you might want to look into the efficiency of the speakers as well as the wattage rating. Eden makes some extremely efficient speakers, while Carvin's aren't near as efficient. Also stated above, speakers and cabinents are generally matched to each other: you might end of with something that sounds like crap, though the reverse could occur as well.

I'll second Matt's opinion on the GK, I've mainly heard good things about their sound and reliability.

5. BazzMonkey

Aug 25, 2000
    Cool thanks for everything, oh and btw, for about 600 I can get a 1000watt carvin bass head, think I should get that or the gallien?
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I, personally would get the GK. This is mainly personal preference though. There's just something about being able to hear an amp before you buy it that I like.
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you decide to replace the two 15" speakers in your Sunn cab, you'll have to decide what total impedance (ohm rating) you want the cab to be. If you buy two 4ohm speakers, you should probably wire them in series for a total of 8ohms. (If you wire two 4ohm speakers in parallel, you will have a total impedance of 2ohms, and not all amps can handle a 2ohm load.) Or, you may want to install two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel to make a 4ohm cabinet.
  8. ...and i'll go the other end of the field and say go for the Carvin...mainly 'cause i've never enjoyed the sound a GK gives - i reckon it's too pussy for rock/punk (ok, shoot me down! :D ). a KILLER slap tone, though (if that's your cuppa tea)
  9. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm not gonna shoot you down Nil! :) You're entitled to your opinion. You've got a good point - part of what you're going to like depends upon exactly what you're playing. For me, it's mainly jazz and ska; no slapping involved. And it's also gonna depend upon how YOU want to sound (which, of course, varies for everyone).

BazzMonkey: I'd reccommend trying out both (yes, I always reccommend trying before buying) and see what you like. I don't know off hand where all of Carvin's showrooms are, but check their website.

10. What?!! GK amps have been the choice of many a punker. The 800RB is almost the quitessential punk amp. I cannot begin to tell you how many bands I have seen in my life that have GK equipped bass guys.

But then again, it's all up to you, blah, blah, blah. YMMV, blah, blah, blah. You know the deal.

Now go try a GK amp. I'm getting one myself next month.
  11. I've played nearly every GK head available. I went for an Ampeg B2R over a 400RB or 700RB 'cause the GK was simply too quiet, the 400RB moreso (had everything up to 11 and it still sucked).

Played thru an 800RB the other week, and like i said, nice slap tone, nice and bright, but kinda flaccid and weak for an instrument that is supposed to project bass. Good with distortion though. I guess it's the scooped midrange sound that irks me.