1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x15 vs 1x18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NioeZero, Apr 27, 2002.

1. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Alright, I'm thinking of hooking up my rig with a DBX subharmonic synth, and was wondering which cabinet would better meet my low end needs.

I've got a 4x10 right now and even without the synth, I feel my lows are a bit lacking.

Any specific brands I should check out? I use Ampeg cabs, and I like SWR stuff, but I'm really not too familiar with other cabinets.

Thanks.

2. I really like the SWR 2x15 and i really recommend getting that one. That is my own personal opinion.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends on the situation, really.

A 2x15 will certainly give you some monsterous lows...But, unless you have a crossover to split the fewquencies, you'll have some issues with the 15's cramping your highs. They are also mucho big cabs.
    An 18 will butcher your highs bad if you don't have a crossover, but they work WONDERS on lows. Better than 15's IMHO. However, up close, they sound muddy, and unclear. About 30 ft. back, though, the crowd is getting a sonic facelift. But, the lows are amazing. Also smaller cab.

I'd personally take the 18, but thats me...

4. I agree with Brendan. I've used both a Peavey 2x15 and Peavey 'mini' 18, I'd hate to see their 'big' 18.

The 2x15 cab does give some nice mids that disappear with the 18 but either way you definately want a crossover.

5. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I hear you about the crossover. I'm using an Ampeg SVT IV, it has that capability.

6. I don't know much about 18's. I do know that 2x15's are great fun. They're beyond bassy enough for me, so try one out.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    up at the music store by me. they have a fender 215 and it sounds awsome! he is supposed to get in a new sunn 215 and he selling for $75 cheaper than mucians friend and mars

8. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I'm just curious to know which would better handle the sub tones... maybe I should have titled the thread differently.

I'm thinking of going with the 1x18, as it seems it would handle the extreme lows of the octave below a little better than the 2x15. Portability is also an issue. But what I'm really looking for is the best definition for the synth tones. That is the #1 consideration above portability, price, etc.

9. my recommendation is that you try the cabs out for yourself. Go to a store and check them out. You're ears will be the best judge for this kind of thing, not us.