Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15 vs 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Aug 30, 2002.

1. i have found a 215 cab and a 410 cab at the same price(from laneys richter series). Which one would be louder (as loudnes is my main motivation for buying an amp).

do you think a 165W head with one of these (laney richter series also) would compete with a 50W 12" guitar amp? the other option is 300W (£300 for 300W, £220 for 165 W).

also a few random questions:

1. what is a mofo?

2. What is GAS?

3. what does this mean:

"There is also an XLR DI output for connecting to an external power amp/PA or recording device"

thanks for your time.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Not knowing anything about the speaker cabs but the speaker area, I believe they would be pretty close.

353.4 squared " for the 215 cab
    314.2 squared " for the 410 cab

So my guess would be:
    The 215 would move a little more air, so may be a bit louder. But it's going to be a lot more bassy. The 410 would probably be more articulate, and might be perceived as louder because of it's better handling of mids and highs, which are easier for us to hear.

In either case, for a much better answer, you need much more information.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    And answers to your misc. questions are:

1) Mofo, comes from swearing/slang and could be translated to 'bad boy'.

2) Gear Aquisition Syndrome, which strikes all musicians at some point. Result is huge mount of all kinds of stuff you have bought.

3) In general, DI(direct input) is for sending your amp signal directly to mixer, usually to one in PA system. XLR is one of the standard plug types in audio stuff.

4. does this mean that you could plug it into an external speaker cab for more volume? (this DI thing is on a combo amp)

5. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    DI is a low level signal,meaning if you use the DI from an amp at the other end of the cable you would need something to"power" it ,like a mixing console/amp/. DI doesnt mean you can run it to a speaker and have volume.

6. Speaker cone area is not just the raw diameter. The part that does the work is the "piston area", and is less than the total diameter. This is the "Sd" component of Thiele-Small driver data.

On the average, it takes (2.5) 10" drivers to equal the piston area of (1) 15" driver. The typical Eminence 15" is 133 square inches, and its 10" little brothers are 53 square inches.

I'd give the loudness edge to the 4x10 almost every time. The Eden D410XLT at 106 SPL is proof of this concept.

In the Avatar cabinet line, the 15" Kappa 15 is 98 SPL, and each of the 10" Deltas used in their 4x10 is 96 SPL. A pair of 10" drivers picks up +3dB because more drivers can handle twice the power. Double this again for four total drivers and gain another +3dB. There is also the added gain of mutual coupling from the close proximity of the four drivers. I'd guess about 101 SPL for a 2x15, and 102 to 108 SPL for the 4x10.

7. i dont want to sound stupid, but what is SPL?

8. Sound
    Pressure
    Level

The standard measurement is done with 1 watt of input measured at a distance of 1 meter.

9. So is anyone gonna tell him what mofo REALLY means? :p ;) :p