Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15 vs. 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatrhino, Jul 24, 2000.

1. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I just bought a Mesa-Boogie 2x15. I love 15's for some reason. Anyway, my band went in to the recording studio the other day and there was a Mesa-Boogie 400+ with a ampeg 8x10. Ohhhhh man. I almost wet myself. Well my 2x15 hasn't came yet and I was wondering if 2x15's push as much air as a 8x10. I heard more speakers more volume so would my 2x15 sound considerably less powerful than that 8x10 was? Oh and I need a head so what would you recogmend used or new to power my 2x15 with Aprox. $600 - $700? No all tube 90lbs heads.

2. danhei

danhei

Jan 21, 2000
    The 2x15's will also be plenty loud. But it's not quite as simple as more speakers equal more volume. It also has to do with the types of speakers and the effeciency. I have a 4x10 and a 1x15 and they are both about the same loudness. But when using both together, they are much louder than either by themself for two reasons: 1) the amp puts more power into the two cabs (2 ohms) than either cab alone (4 ohms). 2) 4 10's and 1 15 adds up to alot of air moving!

I wouldn't worry too much about 2 15's vs. 8 10's unless you happen to like the sound of 10's better than 15's.

Dan

PS I drive my cabinets with a Peavey Firebass 700. 700 watts at 2 ohms, 475 at 4. Sounds great. The amp lists for $700 but you should only pay $550 to $620 or so. Don't pay list price! You'll probably have to bargain if it's a place like Guitar Center.

3. An 8x10 is 80" 0f speaker. A 2X15 is 30" of speaker. The 8X10 will dispurse the sound more efficiently. The impedence will make a diference on the amount of wattage output from the head (4 ohms will put out more than 8 ohms). If all being equal, the 8x10 will win. 10" speakers have a quicker response than 15" speaker plus they usually have a tweater so you can get more brilliance than the 15" If you're looking for lots of bottom end and like it a bit muddy sounding, the 15's will do their job to the fullest.

4. BTW, an Eden WT-300 should run about $700. You'll REALLY like the tone of this amp along with it's powerful EQ system!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, a 2x15 is 353 square inches of speaker, and an 8x10 is 628 square inches of speaker. So you're getting slightly less than double the speaker area with the 8x10.

6. I didn't think of the speaker sizes in square inches. Thanks for the correct analogy!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. lol.. square inches means he got the area of the speakers. and as you most likely learned in math, when you get the area, you have to have it squared =)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by embellisher:
    My speakers are round.. does that mean that I should consider them in 'round' inches?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>