Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2X15 with a 1X12 on top...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, May 26, 2004.

1. Does anybody here use a 2X15 cabinet underneath a 1X12 cab? This combination intrigues me, and I was wondering how common it might be among serious players. Seems like it would be a great combination for low-end girth with just enough mids for some thickness and punch. If you use this combo, or have tried it previously, what brands of cabs/amps do/did you use and did you like it?

2. That's a lot of speaker. Do you really need that much? I mean, I'm into overkill at any given time, but I just don't like hauling that much shizzle.

3. Do you really need that much? Probably not, but who's counting? :bassist:

Actually, I'm a fairly healthy boy who can move my own stuff if need be. Fortunately, I also have the assistance of the other fellows in my band if need be. The last bass cab I owned was a 4X10 that weighed 97 pounds, the same as my 2X15. Everybody in my band drives a full-sized pickup truck, most of us are stout lads, and casters are wonderful things. The 1X12 would just be something extra for larger or outdoor gigs. OTOH, the 1X12 could be used alone for smaller, more intimate gigs as well. The 4X10 I had previously occasionally got lost in the mix, forcing me to push my amp harder than I preferred.

Anyway, it's all just thought experiments at this point anyway. I'm hoping to order the 2X15 in the next month or so, and the 1X12 would just be icing on the cake. That is, if decide to get dessert.

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Unless you're very into dub bass stuff, I'd get a 2x10" instead of a 1x12". You'd get more volume and a more even response when run with a 2x15".

5. I run a 2x12 on top of a 1x15 and get very good tight low end, strong enough mids for note clarity, and only a splash of high end if I turn the tweeter on in my 2x12. I think it is a great classic rock, blues tone.

The cabs are Avatar, the bass is a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe, and the amp is a little weird, an Aguilar DB924 outboard preamp into a QSC USA900 power amp.

6. My main cab now is a 2x15 (I think it's around 100 lbs), and in all reality, that's plenty more loud than our drummer can make (and he's a whole lot of loud in one place). If you're like me and don't really dig 10s, you might be better served to do a 1x15+2x12. I think that might rock.

7. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I use a 1x12 over a single 15... I really like it.

I've used 2x15"s in the past... My back says "no more".

Cheers,
    Chris

8. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I use an EA CXL112 on top of an 1x15" EV 15 L Pro line, driven by an iAMP800.

Really rocks, is not awfully heavy and sounds great,

Wolfram

9. overamplified

overamplified Banned

May 26, 2004
    Maryland
    If you ran the 15(s) clean for lows, and the 12(s) overdriven, it would sound awesome (what i'm doing right now). :bassist:

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi GoergiaHonk, I sometimes use a Bag End mini-stack consisting of two S-15's on the bottom and one S-12 on top. Once in a while I'll use an S-15X on the bottom (the one with the tweeter), but mostly just an ordinary S-15. The 12 does add a considerable amount of clarity and definition to the two 15's (which provide the thunder). I love this setup. Most often I use sets of single stacks, with one 15 and ond 12, and however many pairs of those I need. It's a good combination.