Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jul 16, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, i was wondering how many people really do use this setup? It always seems like such a great bass rig. A local guy here has the mesa 2x15 and it rocks. I know people love the bag end 15's and i think there is a thread about those now. But those of you who use it or have, do you get enough hi's out of it or do the lows make up for it. WHat kind of cabs did you use? I just always thought having 2 15'' cabs and using one or both would a sweet rig.

2. I ran 10's for a while, SVT 8x10 to be exact and didn't care for it at all. I went back to a 2x15 cab. I get all the treble you could possibly ever want, but I'm also using a 2x10 cab as a tweeter though too. :cool:

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I recently became owner of a Sunn 2x15 and it has all the tone I'll ever need. Nice deep lows, no horn to make any hissing, and it just makes my rig look mean as my rig is currently almost 6' tall now.

I thought about adding a 2x10 and putting them on their sides but I don't think I will really need to.

4. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I was running two SWR 1 x 15, but I've recently removed one of the 15" and added a 1 x 18". LOW END to spare.

5. I have a mesa Boogie 2x15 diesel cab. It is clean tight and you get all the highs you ask it for. It is not a mud cab by any means. It is very versatile tone wise and can go low with the best of them. I have never really had to push mine to the limit, But I am running a 600 watt mesa m-2000 head too. It has a ton of tone options . :cool:

6. Im wierd, i dont like individual 15's, but for some reason when you have 2 of them in the same cab it just works, i prefer 10's, but 2x15's are nice, especially the few ive used

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I used a Mesa Road Ready 2x15 on a few occasions and it was pretty awesome. I also owned an Ampeg 2x15 for some time and it had a great dark sound to it, and was also convenient to sit on (especially girls :D ). I think if you go 2x15 you need something pretty hi-fi.

I have two 15's these days (an SWR and a Mesa) and will probably use that setup for venues that have high ceilings and a lot of area to fill. I've found this setup is a little louder than my 1x15/2x10 (avatar pro) setup.

8. Why do you think that? :confused:

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Right now I only run my Sunn 2x15. Up until last summer, I had the Sunn and an Acoustic 2x15 running at the same time. Lemme tell you, there is NOTHING out there like 4x15s being fired with 1000W of power (rented an SVT4PRO for a large outdoor gig, damn). 2x15s is plenty for anything though. I've yet to want a bigger rig for a gig, and this one has seen 1100 people, with zero PA support for bass. The pic wont show yet, once my host comes back online, it will:
    [​IMG].

-Ray

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Hehe... so you dont start wanting to buy some 10's for clarity on the higher frequencies. I play metal and like to have a solid upper mid's edge... I am sure for other styles a mellow 15's setup would be great.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Uh. Not true. I play in 80s metal and modern metal bands, and I use 15s exclusivly, and have no troubles at all with clarity or mid range. You're into thinking that 15s are a big, slow speaker. I can tell you that I played my 2x15 beside an Ampeg and a Mesa boogie 4x10s, and it was just as tight and punchy.

-Ray

12. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    It's all I use right now.......... to me it sounds the way bass does in my head.

Most gigs we do I have some bass fed into my wedge and it takes care of the high end stuff for me.

13. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think...a good 2x15 cabinet is a lot better suited to the needs of most bass players (including myself) than we would care to admit.
    Those old Sun 2x15's with a couple of nice JBL's are pretty dang tough to beat.

14. Exactly what I'm running, a mid-70's Sunn 2x15 loaded with JBL 2226's.

Bottom end out the wazoo, good midrange response too. (Of course, these 2226's are almost $300 per driver, you reckon that has something to do with it?)

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I think Sunn cabs in general are hard to beat. Sundholm knew how to make his cabs and knew exactly what to put in them.

I have a fender-make Sunn 2x15 and it stomps all over my old 4x10 for volume and tone.

About needing hi-fi for 2x15:
    I aim for the exact opposite of hi-fi. I want a dirty grungy tone that screams fuzz rock. I've only seen this tone accompished locally at least with a Kustom tuck & roll 2x15 and a Ampeg 2x15. So it has to be something about those 15s that gives me that tone because as soon as I plugged in I had it.

16. Case in point: the Berg 215 puts out more highs than the 610. Yep, the 215 has a small 6 or 8 inch driver, as well, but its surprising when playing through these cabs side by side...more highs from the 215.

Also, I'd hardly call my Bag End S-15D's 'mellow'.

There are so many different cabs out there that perform and sound differently from each other. I think it's a fallacy to compartmentalize cabinets into 410, 215, 212 categories and believe/purport that different cabinets in these categories are more or less the same, tonally, volume-wise, performance/character-wise, etc.

17. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i currently use a eden 215xlt and it works great, i also use a 410xlt to. as a pair i get all i need for my sound which is death metal all the way.

18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I use an EV 215 with a 6 in there too. The highs aren't sparkley, like they would be with a tweeter, but they are there. The only issue I have with 15s is that they sometimes aren't very efficent and eat up watts. However, they do sound great, and the Bergie one is especially loud as well.

19. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well Ray showed off his Sunn 2x15 so I had to break out my digital camera. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Wasn't me!

What have I started? :bag:

-Ray :D