Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kitcar765, Oct 12, 2005.

1. if i wanted to turn an 2x15" 4ohm speaker into a 2x15" 8ohm speaker what would i have to replace the speakers with? would it be 16ohm bass speakers? i realy havent got a clue when it comes to OHMs

2. or use two 4 ohm speakers in series

but if you are, try and get black widdows, they are what you want ;)

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Amazing how you knew that the T/S parameters of Black 'widdows' match up with his cabinet. Never knew you were clairvoyant. Got any stock market tips?

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Owned! But seriously, please let us know what cab you have. We can better match the driver's Thiele/Small parameters, your sound needs power-wise and what style of music you play to better suit your sound.

5. Ok, well i was going on the fact that this guy was talking about his peavey 2x15 cab, so yes, they will fit

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not necessarily. Peavey, like all driver manufacturers, makes a wide range of drivers with different specs for different applications. They make at least four different specifications of fifteens.

7. ok then, go check the t/s parameters, think you'll find all is in order

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The FAQ's are highly recommended reading for
    explaining Ohm's law.

Can I ask a basic question? Your profile says you are considering a new 2x15. For what reason are you
    considering this conversion?

9. He wants to be able to add another 8ohm 1x15 to the 2x15, so he can have three 15's,

The 2x15 is 4 ohm tho, and his amp cant handle a load below that

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Slaving to a second amp -> 8 ohm 1x15 may yield better results and more versatility for the future, if that is the case.

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    True, it's the best way in the long term, it's preferable to avoid messing with the wiring of cabs. But anyway, if you must, I would personally prefer the two 4 ohm speakers in series route.

12. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    quit straying so far off topic. Back to the important topic.....Got any stock Market tips?
    :ninja: