Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15's Too Much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickbass, Mar 1, 2002.

1. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    I just got an Eden 4x10 xlt for dirt cheep, and now have the oppertunity to get a 2x15 xlt for even cheeper than dirt. The question is (since i dont get to try them out together) will the 2x15 be overwhelming or will it fit in. I had planned on a 1x15 xlt but... dirt cheep is dirt cheep.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Overkill, for Sure! You should float that Dirt cheap over my way! ;):D

No, I'd bet it'd fit in nicely. Actually, it'd give you a killer rig. The 15's would compliment the 410's with some superb lows, while having better attack than 18's. I'd do it.

3. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    ok... what about 1, 2, 4x12's would they work well ive never had the oppertunity to play bass therew 12's

4. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    and what else to add if anything... what would you add, or not add for that matter?

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I say if you don't mind hauling them around, have a big vehicle, and enough headroom to power them, you should do it. I bet it would sound great.

6. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    for a good sound from a nice rig, i dont care how heavy it is .... ill pull it with my teeth if i have to

7. I think that'd be an incredible rig. You could bring out only the 410XLT for somewhat more "civilized" gigs, and both for when you want THE BEEF.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That is what MikeyD uses. He has a 410, and a 215. He is really happy with his stuff.

9. And farming ain't any work either, when you plow with a pencil.

:D

It won't take too many gigs before you get SICK AND TIRED of hauling a huge-ass rig. All the other guys can load their own gear, while you always have to ask them for help. They are loaded up and gone while you are still jockeying cabs into your truck. After a while, you will get so tired of moving cabs and all that heavy weight, that it is easier to leave it in the truck for next weeks gig.

Been there. Done that.

If you like 15's, split them into separate 1x15 cabinets so you can move them around unassisted. Or better yet, consider using multiple 1x12 cabinets which don't require nearly as much internal volume as do the 15's.

If looks is what is driving you, consider four D210-XLT cabs stacked two high. Drive one pair off each side of a stereo power amp, look like a total bad-ass, and you can move each 2x10 easily by yourself.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own the D215XLT; it's an excellent cab. 400 watts, 4 ohms rating. Keep in mind, you can always gig with just the 215 and not take the 410 out, too. The cool thing about the 215 is that it tips back and is very easy to move around and slide in the back of a track. Not real heavy either. I tend ot agree with bgavin about using them both together--that's a lotta cabs to haul around--but I'd probably go for the 215, especially if the price is good, for the aforementioned reasons.

11. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    I added a D215xl to my D410t OH MAN did it ever add to the beef! sounds real good lots o lows and good attack and punch. Like the others have said you can use one or the other or both as needed and not go wrong. And the tip back wheels and top handle do make haulin it around easier than you would think. Also its not all that heavy considering it's size.

12. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    go for it!

if you end up not using/ wanting it.. sell it for more than you bought it for :D

13. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    I would like to have smaller cabs but at the prices im getting them I would be stupid not to take them... unless they wouldent sound good together, but sounds like they will. I was mainly worried that the 2x15 might drown out the 4x10's sound. I have considered the resale value, and I could easily make my money back, so i probably should take it one way or the other. who knows maybe down the road ill be able to pick up two 1x15 xlt and get rid of the 2x15. think ill stick with the 4x10 tho... thats not that big.

14. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Just this week I picked up a 412 cab and it shakes the house. The lows are very defined and the highs, w/ the horn, sounds great.

15. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    Well that answers that don't it ;) :) :D

16. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    you haven't mentioned what brand the 2x15 is...i'm assuming eden since that's what your other cab is. i would do it, man. 2 15's are ridiculous. i know bruce gavin will be itching to talk about low end frequency response, but if you want to feel it in your guts, a 215 will make you happy. 2 15's will bring down the house. DO IT.

17. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    A 2-15 cabinet is pretty easy to move around. I've had a few. The EV B215m has been my main cab for many years.

Helps to have a truck or wagon so you can just tilt it in. Because they are tall you never end up lifting the whole weight...except for the dreaded long, narrow staircase.

A good 2-15 cabinet is not muddy and works well as a stand alone cabinet...lots of punch with some big booty.

18. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Unless you like a lot of onstage volume I think it's better to have a really balanced and powerful PA system than a huge backline. I used to have a large rig onstage, which was fine, but I was never happy with the front of house sound. Now I go through a quality PA system and I'm thinking of using just a 212 on my backline. I play in a rock band so I like it loud...I just want the band to sound balanced and punchy out front. If my rig is pumping out as well then it's just too much for everybody on stage, including me!!