Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Mar 26, 2001.

1. What are the advantages or disadvantages to these cabs? If i play mostly rock/classic rock (anywhere from the beatles to U2) would they work out for me? I tried an ampeg 8x10, loved but thought it was missing some balls...

2. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I use a Mesa Boogie 2x15 RoadReady (4 ohm cab) rated at 800 watts.
    Advantages: This 2x15 cabinet simply sounds great!
    It has PLENTY of punch and drive and seems to cover the bass spectrum for my purposes. I also work with a group that covers classic rock (Beatles etc.) --The MB 2X15 RoadReady cab has a locking detachable cover w/rubber gaskets...the anvil like cab is practically bulletproof.
    Disadvantages: Heavier than Hell!! Very rough on the back seat of my Ford Contour...if you truck your gear in a van, you will probably have no problems...get someone to help you if you ever get one of these :)

Good luck!!
    TCollins

3. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    The Mesa Boogie 2x15 is a great cab. Bands like REM, U2 and Paul McCartney have chosen to use it. The SWR 2x15 is also a great cab. The SWR is easier to transport and it has a more balanced/ hi-fi tone due its use of BagEnd 15" drivers. If you weren't happy with the Ampeg 8x10, I would suggest the Mesa 2x15 and at least 500 watts of power.

4. I have a Hartke 215 Submodule. It now has Eminence speakers in it so it is a lot more warmer sounding but the original drivers had a lot if zing to it. It was very cheap as well I think they go for less than $600

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I haven't played the Ampeg 8x10, but from the frequency response specs I've seen, you'd probably get a stronger low end (say below low A) from most 2x15s. Eden makes a very nice 2x15" now which is smaller and lighter than some others - and the price is reasonable, IMO. See my recent review of it in the Reviews section; also see the related thread. I think the 2x15 is perfect for classic rock. (Well, the 8x10 is, too!) Eden may be having some difficulty keeping up with demand, so unless you check out one in a music store, you may have to wait awhile for an order to be shipped. Something to look into if you have to order one.
    - Mike

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I should have added that Ampeg also makes a 2x15" which may be worth considering. I've not played on that either, but the specs look impressive. My preference for the Eden was mainly that it is a bit smaller and much lighter than the Ampeg. Otherwise, their price and performance appear to be comparable. Note that the Ampeg unit does not come with a tweeter horn; the Eden D-215XLT has one, but you can get one without the tweeter (D-215XL).
    - Mike