1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by relman, Mar 26, 2001.

1. What are the advantages or disadvantages to these cabs? If i play mostly rock/classic rock (anywhere from the beatles to U2) would they work out for me? I tried an ampeg 8x10, loved but thought it was missing some balls...

2. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I use a Mesa Boogie 2x15 RoadReady (4 ohm cab) rated at 800 watts.
    Advantages: This 2x15 cabinet simply sounds great!
    It has PLENTY of punch and drive and seems to cover the bass spectrum for my purposes. I also work with a group that covers classic rock (Beatles etc.) --The MB 2X15 RoadReady cab has a locking detachable cover w/rubber gaskets...the anvil like cab is practically bulletproof.
    Disadvantages: Heavier than Hell!! Very rough on the back seat of my Ford Contour...if you truck your gear in a van, you will probably have no problems...get someone to help you if you ever get one of these :)

Good luck!!
    TCollins

3. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    The Mesa Boogie 2x15 is a great cab. Bands like REM, U2 and Paul McCartney have chosen to use it. The SWR 2x15 is also a great cab. The SWR is easier to transport and it has a more balanced/ hi-fi tone due its use of BagEnd 15" drivers. If you weren't happy with the Ampeg 8x10, I would suggest the Mesa 2x15 and at least 500 watts of power.

4. I have a Hartke 215 Submodule. It now has Eminence speakers in it so it is a lot more warmer sounding but the original drivers had a lot if zing to it. It was very cheap as well I think they go for less than $600

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I haven't played the Ampeg 8x10, but from the frequency response specs I've seen, you'd probably get a stronger low end (say below low A) from most 2x15s. Eden makes a very nice 2x15" now which is smaller and lighter than some others - and the price is reasonable, IMO. See my recent review of it in the Reviews section; also see the related thread. I think the 2x15 is perfect for classic rock. (Well, the 8x10 is, too!) Eden may be having some difficulty keeping up with demand, so unless you check out one in a music store, you may have to wait awhile for an order to be shipped. Something to look into if you have to order one.
    - Mike

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I should have added that Ampeg also makes a 2x15" which may be worth considering. I've not played on that either, but the specs look impressive. My preference for the Eden was mainly that it is a bit smaller and much lighter than the Ampeg. Otherwise, their price and performance appear to be comparable. Note that the Ampeg unit does not come with a tweeter horn; the Eden D-215XLT has one, but you can get one without the tweeter (D-215XL).
    - Mike