1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x212 vs 1x610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzon, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Considering to swap my 2 x 212 for a 6x10 cab. (both are ported EBS cabs).
    Would it be a more tight sound with the 6x10?
    What about the lows?

What do you think?

2. I have very little experience with 12"s, but I would imagine you might find the 6x10 more tight.

I speak purely from the fact that 10s do tend to be more punchy. I'd imagine you'll be losing low end, but it may not be noticable.

The 10s will probably have more response, but you may find that the 12s have more low end.

bets bet is to try before ya buy. ;)

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Two 2x12's will definitely give u more lows than a 6x10 cab. The 6x10 will probably be a bit punchier though. Any chance of keeping one of the 2x12's and adding a 6x10??? That would be a killer rig!!

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    2 2x12 would probably be louder.

5. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Killer rig, yea, probably, but I want cabs as small as possible.

6. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I the store the 6x10 sounds beefy. But I don't know, I think I have to try it in a band setting. I'm a little bit worried about the low end (B-string).

Spec on 6x10 - 70-18000 (Hz)
    Spec on 212 - 40-18000 (Hz)

Shouldn't the 6x10 go lower than 70Hz? :eyebrow:

7. i really dont have any experience with 12's so i have no input on the set up of 2 2x12, i did briefly have a mesa powerhouse 6x10. The mesa had no problems and certianly did not seem to be lacking any lows what so ever. granted i only play a 4 string but at the time it was tuned to CFCG and the thing made me brain rattle. I never got to try it when tuned it stand EADG but i would picture it being just fine. The thing was by no means small of light though, i needed help getting it up 4 tiny steps and i cranked my windsheild getting it out of my car. I mean that has nothing to do with sound but portablity may be a problem with a small car.

point being, the mesa 6x10 was awesome, handeled lows 'thunderingly,' while being nice and tight. Great cab, which i didnt have to get rid of it and had a bigger car to get one again.

8. Stiv

Stiv

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    I have an Aguilar GS412, and it destroys any 6x10 I've heard, and 8x10's work up a sweat trying to keep up. It has the punch, but it seems to get it in a different way. In some ways, I wish it didn't have a tweeter and worked the speakers fullrange, because in my opinion, 12's have a more natural, open mid-high punch. It's purely taste, but 10's have always sounded less ballsy to me, but can also give you good grit.

9. It's the ported cabs. Sealed cabs are a different animal and tighter.

10. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Good point, maybe that's my "problem" :rolleyes:

11. Maybe try and trade one of your 212's for a 210, but I really think it's the ports you dislike.

12. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Hmm...
    Problem number 2 - Most cabs today are ported :meh:

13. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    That's why you go with the Bergie NV610!!!

14. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    NV610 is not available were I live :(

(ship all the way would take long time and cost some serious $$$)

15. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Ahh I did not know there.

Where are you from?

Peace
    -Benny

16. Totaly agree!

I have a Aggie GS412 and it kicks butt. Doesn't punch like 10s, but works in a natural way bass should.:bassist: