Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x2x10 in stead of 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, May 9, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    I'm thinking about selling my hartke 4x10 XL box, and buy two Hartke 2x10 XL boxes instead...

The top is a Hartke 3500

350 watt 4 ohm (single box 175 watt 8ohm)

the 4x10 box is 400 watt 8 ohm, so it only gets 175 watt...

if i buy two 2x10 boxes, they are 200 watt 8ohm, they will both get 175 watt, so will it be much better?

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Check out the Avatar 2x10 Kappa pro. You won't find a better 10" speaker design & they will actually be cheaper than the Hartke stuff.
    Good Luck from Las Vegas :bassist:

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i live in the netherlands, and they don't ship avatar ...

4. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    will two 2x10s sound the same as one 4x10 ??

5. Not in the Netherlands?

just checkthis out!
    LINK

6. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    mmm. ok, my top only has 350 watts, if i connect a 1000 watt cabinet, it won't work i guess

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Keep the 4x10 and add a 115xl, it might be your cheapest option and will sound very good
    I had that combo, and actually really liked the 15 alone.
    However I eventually traded both in on Eden 210xlt cabs as they sounded better than the Hartkes
    Then I later added a 410xlt with one 210xlt, just for more volume :ninja:
    Murphy

8. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but i want to sell the 4x10 cause its too heavy, and i like the sound, so i want to buy tow 2x10s...

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't think you will be happy with Hartke 210 cabs.
    They are shallower and not as punchy.
    What about 2 xl15 cabs, they are lighter?
    I also thought the 410 was too heavy, but would suggest different brands for 210 cabs
    Murphy

10. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    so two 2x10 cabs will sound very different than one 4x10 cab??

11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, very different....not as much low end, and the speakers may crap out quicker,
    unless you go for a different brand....The Edens did sound great.
    I also use 2 EA CXL12's as an alternate, lighter rig, but the 2 Eden 210xlt rig sounds awesome also

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow! You need an education on amps and speaker cabs. If the cab can handle 1000w, yes you can connect it to your amp. Any amp! It just means it can handle up to 1000w peak not that it needs 1000w to operate! I like the idea of 2 2x10 cabs as opposed to 1 4x10 cab. Yes, the power will be divided equally to both cabs as long as they are both 8ohm cabs.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Don't knock Avatar! The speakers will certainly NOT crap out on you if you know what you're doing! Depending on the cab (mine can handle 700w!) it can handle anything you throw at it at very moderate volumes including a low B! Now if you plan on shaking the earth then I suggest a 2x15 or a 1x18. 2x10's put out a nice clean punchy sound that cuts through easily.

To the thread starter, do you play 4 or 5 strings?

14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I was referring to Hartke 210 cabs crapping out and suggesting using an alternate 2x10 to Hartke.....not Avatar....or Eden ..or.....?

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If the cab designs are the same, it will sound almost exactly the same, but typically you'll end up with a 2 ohm load instead of an 8 ohm load with this approach, so you'll get more power from your amp, assuming your amp will safely drive a 2 ohm load (consult the owner's manual).

There are lots of threads on this BB about impedence, power handling, etc ... search for them and read them!

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well in that case.......I agree! I don't like Hartke speaker cabs at all! I just don't think they are made for high power handling!

17. 2 Ohms?

not with 2 8 Ohm cabinets,that would be 4 Ohms which the Hartke will handle fine

And NO the Hartke will not do 2 Ohms

18. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I downsized my 4x10 + 1x15 to a pair of 2x12s. Your 4x10 will probably sound better. That said, tehre are always compromsies to be made. For me teh downsize was being able to fit all my gear into my car.

If you cab is too heavy then it's a done deal: your back is more important than your sound!

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Most 410 cabs are 8 ohm, most 210 cabs are 4 ohm. Lots of manufacturers now offer both 4 and 8 ohms for each, but those are the standard numbers especially on the used market.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I prefer to ask a friend to help me carry my 410 :D