Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x8 cab project-w/bedliner covering!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tuBass, Mar 12, 2006.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've had a cheap homemade (by somebody else) 2X8 for a long time. It was made out of particle board, and covered in ugly blue rat fur. It sounded OK, but it had aluminum speakers, and only 16 ohms.

I decided to redo the whole thing from scratch, with better components. I bought some really nice birch plywood, and some Carvin 8's that are OEM eminence.

I wanted to share how it's gone so far, I applied the bedliner tonight, and it looks like it's going to be great.
    Just for the record, I first sprayed it with the spray on kind to get into all of the hard to reach places. I then followed it up the roll on kind that you can get at wal mart or autozone.

I think it's looking pretty good, and after the bedliner dries I get to put in the handles, corners, speakers, wiring, port, and the grill. I found some great grill material at Home depot for $8, it's the expanded metal type. I cut it to fit, and painted it black, and it's eye-popping good looking.

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Looks like it's going to be pretty cool! Count me in for the read.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'll have to work on taking better pictures, it doesn't look as globby in person.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Is that water-soluble single-solution stuff like DuraTex you are using, or one of the agent-reactant types? I really love the industrial SR finishes - I have gear from decades ago that still looks great after tons of load-in/out - and no touch up other than magic marker so far {knock on poplar/birch ; }

Way better than cat-post cabinet covering or Tolex.

Generally the Carvin OEM drivers are just different enough T-S-wise from the models they were derived from to make a positive difference and be a good value. Though a couple of their speaker offerings could stand to be replaced with something a little newer...

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'm not sure. it's vinyl based. but I wouldn't call it rubber. It's harder than that.

6. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Lookin' pretty neat

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    latest photo, I don't know why the flash makes it look worse than it does in person, I may need to take it outside to get a decent pic.

Like the grill?

Attached Files:

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    finished! :D
    What do you think?

[​IMG]

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Looks pretty nice to me - great job!!!

I'm considering doing something like that to all my cabs this summer, although it'll be quite an undertaking: (2) 18" subs, (4) 15+horn combos, (1) 410, and (2) 115s - and a blast of semi-flat on all the grills... It'd be alot of work, but all my stuff would look great for years to come afterwards...

- georgestrings

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    very cool!

looks great, but

HOW DOES IT SOUND!?

thanks

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    sounds nice. there's a grill rattle, but I thought there might be, I know how to take care of it.

2x8 will never sounds really deep so by itself it's a little thin with my 5 string, but paired with my Kappa pro 15", then the magic happens...

12. and the power it can handle is???

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    the carvins are 200W each, but the original beta 8's are 225, THe carvins are 16 ohms, so the pair can be run a 8ohm. I went with those instead of the 8 ohm betas, whith which I would have to choose between running a pair at 4 or 16.

14. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    is that "bedliner" stuff the vinyl stuff made by some paint company whose name beings with a D? I think it is called....darn it I can't remember. I got the stuff at meijer a few years back. I hope you're not using the same product I got, because the company should recall what I used. It was basically a thicker paint compound with a vinyl additive. It chipped extremely easily, easily scratched, was heavy, and provided no protection whatsoever from denting. Absolutely worthless.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    if it's dupli-color, that's the kind I have. SO far so good. I'm happy with the strength, and it hasn't even cured 24 hours yet.

16. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio

Oh...well I hope it works out better for you than it did for me. Mine looked horrendous in a hurry. If you ever build another cab, get a brand based on urithane instead of vinyl. Bill Fitzmorris (sp) has recommended a brand several times.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think Bill has talked about Duratex.