Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2xEA NL210 vs Epifani 410UL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Clef, Jan 29, 2006.

1. 2 x EA NL210

42.7%
  2. 1 x Epifani 410UL

50.0%
  3. Other

7.3%
  1. Hi everyone.
    I'm looking at getting a bigger setup going from my epi110UL and 112UL rig to either a 2 x 210 setup or just the single box 410 setup. There is someone here in Sydney now which is selling EA gear. The NL210 is very well priced for what it is and taking size and weight into consideration. Have read some great reviews in this forum on the NL210. But I also have been a Epifani user for the last 3 years with my small setup which I have really been happy with. Now I want to get something bigger and the 410UL sounds like a great box for what it does and taking into account it's weight.

My Poll is for what is the most desirable setup, a single EPI410UL , 4 ohm box or going more modular with 2 x 8 ohm EA NL210 boxes. Taking into account sound qualities, and which one is going to give me a great sound with the least amount of fuss. I use a Eden WT550 amp and I play all styles of music.
    Thanking you all in advance for your thoughts and participation in the poll.

2. Both great options. I haven't played the NL-210 yet, but will have my chance next Sunday when I visit TBer Vic while I'm in his area gigging. I hear nothing but good things about them.

As you know, I love my 410UL, but it is a large (if very light cab). My guess is, given SPL, etc. it will put out more sound than the two NL's, but I can't imagine you'd need more sound than two NL's.

So, it's kind of apples to oranges (which is why I didn't vote).... there's a certain beauty to having a large box like the 410UL. You just stick castors on it, throw your head on top and wheel it in... no cart, no extra pieces, no hassle... and it's so light that it feels like most 210's. However, if you are, for example, hauling it up and down stairs from your basement, etc., it's still can be cumbersome, and you won't have the modularity of the two smaller boxes.

You seem to like the Epi sound.... any reason you aren't looking to keep your 112UL and replace the 110U with a 210UL or another 112UL?... that would give you lot's more 'ooomph' but still keep you small and light and result in less money spent.

All good options, though. Good luck.

3. Hi Ken thx for your input. I prefer the sound of tens espeacially when gigging in larger venues. They seem to work better for me. Less boom and more tighness and cut.
    Cheers.
    ps. did u vote ?

4. I hear you on the 10's... I feel the same way. I didn't vote because I haven't had the pleasure of playing the NL 210's. If you don't mind a single, large cab solutions, the 410UL is just amazing. I'm sure the NL210's sound great also and are also relatively light.... so to me it's really if you want the ability to 'split your rig' for smaller gigs, etc.

How's that for wishy washy wafflin':D

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I've never touched epi cabs so I didn't vote. As enamored as I am with my nl-210, I think that I'm inclined to agree with the previous post. Are you looking for a different sound, or just to move more air? If you are happy with the tone, I would imagine changing out the 110 for a 210 would make a dramatic difference.

After playing just a single nl-210 I can' t imagine any 410 would put out more than a pair of them.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the NL210 is alot warmer and browner in the mids than the Epifani UL sound. the epifani seems to have a bit more of an open top end sound.

also, the UL410 is a rather large bulky box, so two NL210's are much easier to fit into a sedan.

other than that, they're two of the best "neo" cabs i've used/owned.

7. cltb

cltb

Jan 29, 2006
    Hi!
    Since I haven't tried a single neo cab I liked,the closest being a glockenklang(very nice cab) i would recommend you try a wayne jones 2by ten.
    I love these things.
    They are very accourate and open in terms of tone and response .They are hungry too, but if your amp does it,I would highly recommend you try them out.They are also not too big.

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i haven't played either cab, i only voted on practicality. having two tens allows you more flexibility than a 410. you might only need a single 210 at one gig; or both of them.

but if the epi is a light as the specs suggest, maybe transportation won't be that big of a problem.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't played the 410UL, but I've heard the rest of the UL line, and I am familiar with the Epifani sound. To me, this sounds like a win/win scenario. I voted for two NL-210's, because they are truly wonderful cabs and one of my all-time favorites. Two of them gets incredibly loud, IME, and my guess is that from an overall volume standpoint, either option could get more than loud enough for you. I do prefer the way that sound disperses from two 2x10's stacked vertically, as opposed to the standard 4x10 configuration, though.

Tom.

10. I just voted for the 410UL to off-set Dimin's vote:D

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm guessing that the EAs will be warmer sounding esp. w/the Eden amp.

Aside from that, there's pro's and con's to either option.

I like the one-cab-does-all approach, so I'd opt for the 410UL.

[It's a nice feeling to show up for a gig knowing that your cab can handle whatever the situation might call for.]

12. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I vote for the 410UL, one cab does it all. I use to use 2-Epi 210's (before Nick came out with the UL series) because of it was easy to move two lighter boxes than 1 heavy one.
    That being said, 2-210's will give you a bigger sound, you'll have more air volume. They'll also be easier to fit into a sedan but they'll also take up more space in your car than a 410 will.
    It's really about the sound you want.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    After traveling with four 2x10s for modularity and portability I found that within brands one 4x10 produces more tone and spls then two 2x10s. Particularly the tone part. Stacking 2x10s is the way but the overall umph and coupling from a 4x10 is distinct. For stairs I roll a 4x10 up or down (with a good Tuki cover) if I can't carry it. About this rolling technique, I do it slowly. Govt. Warning: When attempting going down stairs please hold onto cabinet with hands.

14. Thx Everybody for your input.

Tom:
    You said the sound disperses better with 2x210 cabs stacked vertically. Does this mean that people would hear you better across the venue than they would with a 410 cab. The specs, on these cabs quote NL210 SPL 100 db, 410UL SPL 103 db. Doesn't this make the epi a louder cab ?

chadds & Macgroove:
    You guys are contradicting each other as far as which setup would give a bigger sound, move more air, and more SPL's. I know it's "IMO" views, but which view is the more accurate one ? Does anyone know for sure ?

Joker:
    What do you mean by NL210 is "browner in the mids than the 410UL" ?

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My understanding is that a vertical array disperses better in a horizontal arc (and vice versa, that a horizontal array actually disperses better in a vertical arc). So, the vertical array takes in more of the width of the stage/audience. But, since the drivers are also now higher up (closer to your ear), you still hear it better than if it were laid out horizontally (unless you were really far away from your rig). There are also phase issues to consider, and it is my understanding that a vertical array is the way to go here (though others like Bill Fitzmaurice can give you a much better explanation than can I).

Well, there is not a uniform manner of generating these numbers, but both EA and Epifani seem to be pretty accurate with their stats, so yes, it looks like the UL410 is 3 db more sensitive than a single NL-210. But, I think that you get something like a 3 db boost from stacking like cabs (please correct me if I am wrong!), so this would seem to be a wash.

Tom.

16. As I own two Wizzy's....and sometime in the future I will also need the NL-210 to complete the cabinets in my life.

My vote, however, is based on the fact that, given the excellence of both options, I would buy the versatility and modularity that two 2x10's would give you vice the one 4x10.

Jay

17. If you like the Epifani sound you could also concider two Epi 2x10's

Guys!
    What is you take on Epifani two 2x10 Vs. 4x10UL in sound. I'm not talking price and weight only sound!

-Christian

18. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.

19. Per the post above a while back... when I've compared two 210's to the 410 within the same product line, I've found the 410 to be punchier, louder, with just slightly less low end (many times, the -3db rolloff spec on a 210 is actually a little lower than on the equivalent 410.. don't know why). I greatly prefer a large single cab solution to the two 210 solution for ease of transport and general, balanced sound. Of course, the advantage to the two cabs is that you can leave one at home for smaller gigs. However, with the weight of the 410UL, I pretty much bring it to any size gig... just wheel it in and play.

Per the conflicting comments on this... I think that represents that there isn't much difference... it's pretty subtle... the key is... do you want one piece that's rather large but that you can put wheels on and put your head on top and wheel in and play, or do you want the advantage of modulatity but the disadvantage IMO of having to use a cart, hook up multiple pieces, etc.

To me... seems that the need or lack of need for modularity would be the determining factor.

20. I know the vertical array makes sense on paper, and when you get into a sort of 'wall of sound' thing, with speakers stacked many high, I'm sure it makes a difference.

I do agree that you can hear yourself better, since you have a speaker at ear height. However, in the few A/B tests that I've done in moderate sized rooms with 210's put side by side, versus stacked in a vertical array, I didn't notice much difference, and the difference I did notice favored the traditional '410' type placement... those small 210's tend to be helped in the low end out in the room by more floor coupling.

To me... it's not a deal breaker. A well designed 410 has no problem projecting into the room.